• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmatthej1

Best Exhaust Box For 'character' Sound?

mmatthej1

Expect to replace standard exhaust back box on 1.9GTI in near future, due to rot, and just wonder if anyone can recommend a source for a replacement which would offer a more 'interesting' exhaust note?

Nothing too extreme, as I know really loud exhaust noise can be a pain to live with - just want a bit more 'character' than usual?!

GLPoomobile

Replace the back box with some pan pipes, that'll give loads of character :D

You're welcome ;)

• Like 3

calvinhorse

Magnex are very good in my opinion and not too offensive.

allye

Have you considered a custom one? Then you can do what you like! Not that expensive either.

hoban81

What about longlife exhausts.

calvinhorse

My 309 has a longlife exhaust, its badly made and quiet

welshpug

my 205 has a longlife exhaust, its not "loud" and is very good quality, 8 years old infact.

depends very much on the branch that make it for you.

I also have one on the 405 and that is not much noisier than stock, also very well made and probably 12 years old at the least.

calvinhorse

I guess it can depend what you call quality

lemmingzappa

depends very much on the branch that make it for you.

Agreed!

BlueBolt

I guess it can depend what you call quality

No. It depends on who made it for you. Long life are just a franchise and as such the build quality is all down to the garage who make it, not the firm...

• Like 1

j_turnell

I used to love the sound of the old pugsport grp n. But it did have its disadvantages, being early 3 piece system and made out of mild steel.

hoban81

My 309 has a longlife exhaust, its badly made and quiet

I had a Longlife back box fitted on my fiat coupe 20 valve turbo. Very happy with it and the price.

I had it fitted at the Stockport branch.

Like welshpug says it depends what branch you go to and who does it.

Edited by hoban81

the matt

I've had both a Sportex on my last one, then a Magnex one that I found for £30 off ebay. I've now got another Magnex one again on the current Pug.

The Sportex one was a bit raspy for me. The Magnex one I find to be quite throaty but not too loud. Makes a nicer sound on idle too.

calvinhorse

I had a Longlife back box fitted on my fiat coupe 20 valve turbo. Very happy with it and the price.

I had it fitted at the Stockport branch.

Like welshpug says it depends what branch you go to and who does it.

No. It depends on who made it for you. Long life are just a franchise and as such the build quality is all down to the garage who make it, not the firm...

Well whichever branch mine came from was certainly s*it and has dragged the name of the company down for me and I will stick by what I've said

Tonyvid

I recently replaced the back box on my 1.6 with Peugeot original item from my local dealer - sounds lovely and more raspy than the OE one that had gone all crusty.

Batfink

I'm going to try to get super sprint to make me a one off of their old manifold and system. I think it's similar to the magnex

mmatthej1

Thanks for all comments/ideas posted so far - we are now thinking of simply getting the smaller 'upstream' silencer box cut out and replaced by a section of ordinary pipe.

So it becomes a sort of 'straight thru' system, but retaining the back box, - has anyone tried this?

mmatthej1

Bit surpised that no-one has picked up on my latest query, with their experiences!

Ah well, we've gone ahead and done the modification now - initial feeling is that exhaust 'sound' is rather better, without being obtrusive.................

DamirGTI

I'm making exhaust silencers by myself .. and did some tubular manifolds as well ...

The best exhaust system which i have currently on my 205 is custom made middle silencer out of stainless steel body (copy of the supersprint silencer) , but not round or oval/quadrant shape , i made an 10deg. up step ("fishtail") on the entrance , and 15deg. down-step on the exit site of the silencer ... So it looks kinda like a CAT shape ... in order to eliminate any sharp steps round the insides of the system and increasing gas speed velocity .

The insides of the silencer is perforated pipe , with a chamber in the middle of the silencer (so it's not perforated pipe all the way trough the insides like "cherry bomb" and similar silencers ..) , and perforated pipe packed/warped with steel wool , with the rest of the silencer packed with roving glass fiber material .

D