• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pogles2008

Lip On Mi16 Engine Bore

pogles2008

Hi there I have a mi16 engine from a 405 la mans can someone tell me if it is a mi 16 or a s16 how will I tell??? Would it be best to get the engine re bored and a new set of pistons or just find another block to put in it???

Cheers

petert

Mi16 2.0L engines do not have a vacuum pump on the end of the inlet cam. They're otherwise to S16 identical. Get some new 86.50mm pistons and bore it. Cheap and easy fix.

pogles2008

Thanks for the quick reply where can I locate some pistons from??

Cheere

welshpug

Other than a slim chance at a dealer at probably more than the cost of forged aftermarket competition pistons, not a clue, most would not bother i'd imagine.

pogles2008

Does anyone no where I can locate some pistons from in the uk?? If I rebore the engine to 86.50 I guess the standard size Is 86.00 is this correct?? And the last thing would you buy forged piston or just normal, how much performance would I get from forged pistons??

Cheers

Tom Fenton

Ferraris are very good but usually are a strict wholesaler so will not deal with private individuals, only engine machine shops/reconditioners. No harm in ringing them though, you never know.

• Like 1

welshpug

for reference, 0628 A5 is 1st oversize o.e piston and ring set complete (4 pistons 4 sets of rings) and 0628 A6 is 2nd oversize, Servicebox doesn't show the specific measurement, they are marked NFP.

both are circa £700 plus vat.

Miles

I doubt you'll find any, the remaining amount does mean that making parts for these in mass volume is a complete waste of money, I know I tried finding some around 10 years ago and found nothing other than Forged items, maybe downunder could be a source if they have them

welshpug

it seems odd to me that cheap oversize pistons are readily available for a 2.0 GM engine, I suppose they have an even larger following and are more plentiful.

guess the dimensions are too far out for them to be used?

petert

Flat top Wiseco in 86.50mm is part #10686-3645.

pogles2008

Cheers for the info lads thing forged pistons is the way easy to locate aswell!!! Just another thing I have a mi16/s16 it's a steel block with RFY on th head am I right in saying its a xu10j4 engine???

Cheers

welshpug

yup.