• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kezzer30

205 Just Had A Moment

Kezzer30

So cars being running groggy for a few weeks now being spluttering in low revs , planting the foot it has not be reacting well , uphills have be afwul . So i used the forums search button an found a few threads and came to the conclusion , it could be spark plugs , ht leads , dizzy cap and rotor arm or maybe fuel injectors abit blocked however i recently used redex so i would like to think they are fine .

However nevertheless i ordered all the ignition parts listed above and was going to change them myself tommorow .

Driving to work this morning (8mile drive) as usual (of late) started and was popping and been crap 2miles into the journey (centre of town) and all power lost and just stalled . Would not start at all , i aimlessly took off the ht leads and put them back on , but it would not start , out of my depth i decided i needed to walk down to the local garage and prepare to get my pants pulled down and spanked hard .

In desperation i pulled off one of the ht leads one more time and noticed the metal inside top had stayed on the plug , then the lead bit pulled out of the rubber cover , i also noticed the center lead has started to melt on the exhaust maifold aswel so i moved that .

One final turn of the key and boom started , and was running fine , did have the odd little splutter in the remain 6 miles but other than that it was great .

Rest assured il be on with changing the lot first thing tommorrow when im off work!

So for now a happy me

dogboy1066

I had something like that on an old car after i went through an unexpected flooded road. It ran really badly afterwards, power delivery all over the place, spluttering, barely made it home and wouldn't start after that. It took a few attempts to get it going again.

When i did, I got it up to temp, took the HT leads out, let all the water evaporate, put the HT leads back in, drove fine after!

lfallgti

I'd be wary of the routing of your plug leads if they are melting on the manifold. Shouldn't really

be able to get near it, are they the correct leads?

Also, whilst you have more than likely found the cause of the problem, 25 year old peugeots work in mysterious ways!

jonXS

i came to the conclusion that they have gremlins living in them.

one minute something works and the next its completely unresponsive (like my washer pump lol)

DanteICE

I'd be wary of the routing of your plug leads if they are melting on the manifold. Shouldn't really

be able to get near it, are they the correct leads?

First thing I thought of. Make sure you get the right leads fitted.

Kezzer30

Its the long center lead thats not clipped on anywhere , it bows round the back on the engine and rests on the manifold , i have a set of originals coming tonight

dcc

good god. what leads do you have? they certainly sound wrong :|

use a cable tie (came as standard in all french cars since 1958) to hold them out of harms reach.

lfallgti

Certainly sounds wrong.

Do you mean the king lead from the coil?, that doesn't clip in on the rail with the others but still shouldn't be anywhere near the manifold??

lfallgti

Am I also of the understanding that you've noticed the lead on the manifold before but didn't change it?

Not taking the piss, but that's just how it reads to me.

Alan77

I also cannot suss out how you got a king lead on the manifold, but hey ho...

Yep, check and replace the ignition components that you normally do as part of a service (plugs, points, cap and rotor). Any moisture or condensation will certainly play havoc.

As said above, keep cable ties and a can of GT85 in the boot. This standard 205 toolkit will save you on many many occasions...

Kezzer30

Am I also of the understanding that you've noticed the lead on the manifold before but didn't change it?

Not taking the piss, but that's just how it reads to me.

Yes the king lead from the center of the dizzy cap to the coil pack and i only just noticed yesterday morning miles away from house and off to work , im a chef and work from 10am -11pm so i had absolutely no chanc to change it or try to in that time , i used some common sense an moved it away and tucked it under another wire as a quick fix until i could fix it (today)

Also i will get a photo or two today an show u all so yoi can see what i was on about

lfallgti

Be interesting to see how it got on the manifold! ????

Kezzer30

Ok so first things first great news my first go at doing anything mechanical myself has ended in major sucsess the car is running absolutely amazinly now , really responsive , really smooth running engine .

However it was very plain to see why i was having problems

So hear is the lead touching the top of the manifold as mentioned above.

15DBCA68-CCEA-4528-BD2B-E3FF5AD3F265-186

EF4460BB-45A6-42FE-B053-685423FCC612-186

Thats where it had melted

B49BC495-3698-44A0-AFE8-4C7022928361-186

Thats me just showing it was the main coil pack lead.

I found a brown plug that is not conected to anything and seems to have nothing to connect to any ideas?

5A4EB411-1B48-47D4-A8CA-A0532EDA6FD6-186

DC4C57C5-74ED-4578-BE21-DE41FF81E22A-186

Inside old dizzy

5E7FB0C8-06D4-4897-BD5A-719368C885CE-186

Old rotor arm

Both i thought were not too bad.

2EA4B2B7-E665-45BB-8080-44A4785C191A-186

New set up all ready to go back on

FAFD515A-B2CA-4D44-B196-0BEE494D17C3-186

The worse spark plug ive seen!

849EB58E-E644-455B-97F5-7CED30E81178-186

New for old

All sorted now however im a very happy man

welshpug

plugs look fine tbh!

I certainly would not route the king lead that way!

spare 5 pin plug with 3 wires is the cooling fan test point.

rallysteve

AFAIK the king lead should go down the hole in the centre of the inlet manifold and along with the main wiring loom to the top of the gearbox then plug into the dizzy cap. It should have some convoluted tubing over it though to prevent it rubbing on the end of the block/thermostat housing.

Steve

Kezzer30

Well i wasnt the one who routed it that way in the first place etc and cool cheers for the plug info