• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Rallye Blank Fitting

chipstick

Could someone with a rallye or these retrofitted please be as kind to take a photo of the rear of the valance with blanks fitted so I can see how they fit and how much material has been removed?

It does appear that they would slide on a small remaining section of the recess, but a pic for clarity would be appreciated. Someone may have a valance off a project car or an old photo from fitting which I've not stumbled across.

:)

dcc

glue

allye

glue

No.

As I said Dan, all I can say is you have to take a fair wack out to get them to slide in, basically the entire backing for the driving light. Then its up to you how to secure them. Standard they used screws and little metal captive things on the valance (IIRC) - rust horribly of course.

Henry Yorke

Do they not bolt into the standard driving lamp bracket? I thought they were just cosmetic as standard and not functional (I.e. don't vent anywhere)

• Like 1

chipstick

As allye says you have to cut the valance.

In this pic you'll see what I mean about the slot a the top presumably sliding in to a remaining section of the recess left uncut.

12760075-752A-480F-966A-0F1F810887A9-103

allye

Do they not bolt into the standard driving lamp bracket? I thought they were just cosmetic as standard and not functional (I.e. don't vent anywhere)

They are functional in that air actually passes through them, they do not cool anything though! Ideal position for a oil cooler.

That correct Dan, one end slides on, its not hard really, as long as you get them the correct way around!

chipstick

Big thanks to leemundo for taking some photos of his rallye valance :)

25C515B1-2FB8-44B3-8A4C-250480611492-138

ABE02926-9798-4EF3-A89C-97F70013655B-138

I took a spare redundant valance Stef205 kindly donated and cut the bare minimum away from the back and test fitted to see how much exactly needed removing before I went straight in and cut my own up. For reference all that needs cutting is the bare minimum. By cutting just the top outline of the recess away the blank slots in home towards the valance. Cut any more and up close from the frog it wouldn't look as neat as the shape of the blank.

43AD1E5F-1E5C-4C72-8D36-020733111660-138

Now I've the confidence to cut my own valance exactly. Typically it went perfectly on the trial. No doubt had I gone in with the padsaw on my own valance I'd have removed too much.

chipstick

Now have my valance off and the holes cut. All I need to do now is secure the vents in.

I could drill some pilot holes and use self tappers, but would rather use the correct sort of retaining clips.

ABE02926-9798-4EF3-A89C-97F70013655B-13835-00000E58F00A1E2C_zps0b5348e3.jpg

What would such a clip be called where would it likely to be found? It appears to be similar to the style used to hold the rear fog/reverse lights but able to grip material twice as thick. I tried expanding one to no avail.

chipstick

Calling all rallye owners :lol: what clips did you use?

allye

Doesn't really help but I riveted and used very small nuts/bolts on mine

rallyeash

as my pm says, i drilled through the back where the clips are and used a cable tie. cant see them. similar idea to ally i recons

309jazzpanda

Where can I get rallye blanks from?

chipstick

Sounds like a more substantial fixing is the way forwards then, thanks. Don't want the bloody things to fall off :lol:

309jazzpanda - They rarely come up for sale in fairness. Someone breaking a rallye is probably your best bet. I'd been looking for a set for absolutely ages and eventually came across a breaking thread of a track car and noticed them mentioned in the listing. Keep an eye out.

welshpug

could just buy the clips :lol:

chipstick

I looked on servicebox and couldn't see any on the exploded diagram of the rallye bumper.

Had another look and only thing it could be is 6992JO but that just looks to be a large version of the clips used in dashes where a screw goes through it. If that is the case I can use those and drill through also.

Edited by chipstick

welshpug

I believe it would be 6992J0, agreed it looks rather vague :lol:

looks to be used on the 306 and partner left and front wheelarch/bumper liner under the alarm siren, a 4x4 ax rear mudflap and front arch liner, and a berlingo roof console panel clip :D

farmer

I had a rummage about my parts and found the wee clip that holds the bonnet release cable to the front panel may be usefull to hold this in place.

Granted it has a hole through it but folds over on its self and would slide over the valance i would think.

Edited by farmer

chipstick

Do you have a pic of that Farmer?

I've some of the 6992J0 on back order (no idea how long that takes - dealer reckoned a few days)

I rummaged through my clip jars and found something ideal but only had the one

DBD6B357-17A6-46B4-BFD9-85C67EB7D5E7-362

Must have come from a 306 interior somewhere

farmer

Can get one. Slo needs a photo of that part to.

trogboy

Last time I wanted a set of grilles I bought them from pug. Are they not still available?

Robbiedundy

Would any of you be willing to take some vague measurements of the rallye blanks for me? Doesn't have to be that precise, just something I could use as a base and trim it down to fit the valance.

chipstick

All I did was cut the back of the recess off and they fitted fine. A bit of tidying up and you're done.

I bought a bag of the correct clips in the end but still haven't got round to fitting them :lol:

Robbiedundy

I mean measurements of the actual rallye blanks, I wana make a set! :P