• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
StormVixen

Sparks From Ht Lead At Coil

StormVixen

Forgive me, I am a less than knowledgeable female.

There are sparks coming from the connection between the coil (cylindrical object) and the lead attached to it... The sparks hit the other 4 connections at random as well as the water pipe which runs near to it... I've cable tied the water pipe to stop it sparking to that... Its causing bad running problems but I have no choice but to drive it to and from work ( I hope driving it like this is not going to cause further damage!). I've ordered new coil and ht leads... Do you think this will solve the problem?

Tom Fenton

The new bits should sort your problem. The sparks are due to the insulation on the existing bits breaking down. As a temporary measure to keep you going, you could try winding some electricians insulation tape around the main HT lead off the top of the coil. But replacing the parts for new is of course the proper solution.

ORB

Female pugger!

Would it be inappropriate to ask for a pic?

:)

Lol

(Yeah, your HT leads are shagged)

• Like 1

StormVixen

Thanks... :D I'm looking forward to it running right once again!

Maybe I'll put a photo of myself as my profile pic ;)

I'm sure I'll be active more on the forums these days... Due to the fact I don't have a mechanic boyfriend any more lol! I must learn to maintain my car myself :P

welshpug

There's a few of us about not too far away that can lend a hand or advise if required :)

Tom Fenton

Female pugger!

Would it be inappropriate to ask for a pic?

:)

Lol

(Yeah, your HT leads are shagged)

There's a few of us about not too far away that can lend a hand or advise if required :)

Shameless perverts!

• Like 1

StormVixen

Ahhahahahahahaha thanks :)

calvinhorse

Oh you smooth talker you :D

StormVixen

Hey.. Well I'm back...

I changed the leads and coil... It got better but it's still not right... There is still a spark coming from one of the red wires connected to the top of the coil... I don't know what this wire is for :/

Can anyone recommend me a trustworthy mechanic in my area...? I really want my car to be healthy again so it can feel the open road under its wheels...

omega

Hey.. Well I'm back...

I changed the leads and coil... It got better but it's still not right... There is still a spark coming from one of the red wires connected to the top of the coil... I don't know what this wire is for :/

Can anyone recommend me a trustworthy mechanic in my area...? I really want my car to be healthy again so it can feel the open road under its wheels...

if i was you i would tie a something soft to your back now

so when you get knocked over in the rush you dont get hurt!!

StormVixen

Haha.... ;D

StormVixen

I will say: I would REALLY appreciate a mechanic who will let me watch and learn or even teach me the skills I need to keep my beast running until I'm at least 80 :)

StormVixen

Somone told me it could be caused by dodgy ignition module... Where abouts is it in the car? So I can check wires and connections...? Thanks :)

welshpug

on an earlier car like yours with the coil on the left hand inner wing it'll be bolted to the same alloy plate, there's a 7 pin plug on it.

StormVixen

Thanks... :D

Today's plan is to inspect all the electrics in the area... Connections, wires etc... I've noticed a few wires and stuff hanging loose and unconnected, which I assume is to do with somone installing an alarm then ripping it out.... How annoying...

welshpug

if you're not sure, take a few pictures :)

StormVixen

I was totally not expecting to find the problem and fix (bodge) it! 'Twas a wire which was screwed onto dizzy(I think?) and attached to the coil sonehow, I think, was really dodgy and brittle jus wrapped it in tape for now... Does anyone know what this wire is and where I can get a new one? I'll take pictures if needs be...

:D nice day for driving then a trip into Bristol for some Metal \m/ :D

welshpug

sounds like the distributor signal wire, it goes to the ignition amp and triggers the spark.

StormVixen

ORB

Pictures????

StormVixen

Haha... I don't think I can upload pics from my phone... I'll have to get on a laptop at some point... :)