• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Ma Box Feels Very Heavy To Change Gear When Warm.

GeorgeXS

The MA box in my AX GTI has started being odd the last 2 days. When the car is cold it will change gear same as always, light and reasonably smooth. The last 2 days when I have been driving to and from work at the end of the journey (20mins) when it has warmed up the gearbox feels very heavy to get into gear.

I can still engage every gear, albeit with a much stronger push. I thought it was the linkage at first but am not so sure now, as it still is very easy to move side to side just not into each gear.

The box is definitely full of oil, and I was under the car a couple of weeks ago and the linkages were simply covered in oil (thanks to a completely separate oil leaking issue!) so I doubt they have seized up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be??

Edited by GeorgeXS

chris-gti

Could be the clutch isn't releasing properly when warm? expanded/breaking clutch plate? maybe oil on the clutch plate could cause this?

does it change easy when warm but not running?

GeorgeXS

It is just as hard to change when not running, wouldn't be very surprised if there is some oil on the clutch though, I think it is the crank seal on the gearbox end causing my engine oil leak!

chris-gti

if its just as hard when not running its not likely to be a clutch issue. I've known gearboxes not want to go into gear when cold but not this way round. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it..

edit: unless the heat is transfering down one of the selector shafts and causing them expand and tighten in the casing. wouldn't think it's likely though

Edited by chris-gti

welshpug

got the right oil in it?

GeorgeXS

if its just as hard when not running its not likely to be a clutch issue. I've known gearboxes not want to go into gear when cold but not this way round. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it..

edit: unless the heat is transfering down one of the selector shafts and causing them expand and tighten in the casing. wouldn't think it's likely though

I had thought it being some sort of heat expanding related issue, but I too think its quite unlikely.

got the right oil in it?

Tbh I don't know that, I've not changed it in my ownership, it has been fine for the last 10 months I've had the car so it seems strange to me that would only affect it now. Especially at its been a sudden change in the past couple of days.

chris-gti

Thinking out loud...

I'm not familiar with the AX layout, is there any way it could be the gear lever it's self getting warm with the heater blowing on it?

I would start by disconnecting the linkages from the box and making sure they move freely to rule them out (not nice with a hot exhaust down there), then if the linkages are free moving i'd drop the gearbox oil and see what sort of condition it's in. If its grey, milky its old. if its excessively metallic i would say there's something more serious in there. Worth changing the oil anyway if you've no idea when it was done and it only takes about 2 litres of 75w80 i believe.