• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmatthej1

How Do You Set Basic Timing After Cambelt Change?

johniban

Am i actually reading this correctly?!?!

You have taken your car to be repaired at a garage and they cannot changed a cambelt on something so simple as an 8v peugeot engine?

Who is the garage in question they sound like they have just left college..

I think my mum wouldn't struggle doing a cambelt on one of them haha.

But anyway.. the engine mount snapping/bolt stripping is a common cowboy mistake! using air tools to do up bolts! either by not hand tightening them first and gunning them in wonkey and cross threading it or by gunning them up too tight.

id be making them fix it for free and taking them to trading standards, sound to me like they havnt got a clue if they cant work on a car so simple they shouldnt be working at all, they sound a bit dangerous, i mean yeah things do go wrong, i dont always get it right but simple jobs shouldnt be hard, at the end of the day most things are on the iternet if you cant afford an auto date book

• Like 1

jord294

feel free to get in touch with me, as i'm pretty sure i could of been cheaper than the garage who's doing the work for you

mmatthej1

Just to update, our car is now back in good health, on the road - the garage had the broken mounts welded up by a guy who is used to doing such work, as he does cylinder head refurbishments and it now seems to be just fine, phew!

As to the matter of timing, the car was running ok but we wanted it checked for good health , so took it to Skip Browns rolling road - they were able to tune it to be be better, of course, but don't actually think it was too far off.

They did mention that timing was indeed a bit difficult to ascertain, as a set of marks they normally expect to see were simply not there! This rather exonerates the guys in the repair garage, who struggled to set timing, I think!

As to last post, from North Wales, I'm very interested to find people who enjoy working on 205GTI, whereabouts are you located? (we're in Chester)

Lan

Just to update, our car is now back in good health, on the road - the garage had the broken mounts welded up by a guy who is used to doing such work, as he does cylinder head refurbishments and it now seems to be just fine, phew!

As to the matter of timing, the car was running ok but we wanted it checked for good health , so took it to Skip Browns rolling road - they were able to tune it to be be better, of course, but don't actually think it was too far off.

They did mention that timing was indeed a bit difficult to ascertain, as a set of marks they normally expect to see were simply not there! This rather exonerates the guys in the repair garage, who struggled to set timing, I think!

As to last post, from North Wales, I'm very interested to find people who enjoy working on 205GTI, whereabouts are you located? (we're in Chester)

even if the marks were hard to find, there are timing holes and what sort of monkey takes off the cambelt without being sure of the timing in the first place he could have made his own marks or even used tippex!

johniban

im in eastbourne, wouldnt say i enjoy working on them but i do have a like for them :)