• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

1.9 Engines - D6E (Xu9Jak) Differences Compared To D6B And Dkz?

Anthony

Picked up a ZX Volcane 1.9i last week for parts, notably the Motronic MP3.1 engine management setup.

The 1.9 8v engine fitted to these ZX's is stamped D6E with a designation of XU9JAK.

Does anyone know the exact differences between this engine and the usual D6B (XU9JA, found in non-CAT 1.9 GTi's) and DKZ (XU9JAZ, found in CAT 1.9 GTi's) engines, as on paper it looks like a halfway house of the two?

A quick bit of research suggests the following differences:

DB6 = 128hp @ 6000rpm and 119lbft @ 4000rpm

D6E = 128hp @ 6000rpm and 122lbft @ 3250rpm

DKZ = 122hp @ 6000rpm and 113lbft @ 3000rpm

DB6 runs Bosch LE2 Jetronic (AFM based) with a distributor (no catalyst)

D6K runs Bosch Motronic MP3.1 (MAP based) with ECU controlled ignition and wasted-spark coilpack (no catalyst)

DKZ runs Bosch M1.3 (AFM based) with ECU controlled ignition and a single coil and dizzy cap (with lambda and catalyst)

D6B = 9.6:1 compression

D6E and DKZ = 9.2:1 compression

D6B = 97 RON fuel

D6E and DKZ = 95 RON fuel

Is the D6E pretty much a slightly detuned D6B using (I'm guessing) DKZ pistons to allow it to run well on 95 RON unleaded, in the same way as later 115hp 1.6 GTi engines (B6E, XU5JAK) had slightly lower compression compard to earlier ones (B6D, XU5JA), or is there more to it than that - a slightly milder camshaft for example judging from the lower peak torque rpm figure?

I know in the past I've fitted a D6E engine into a 205 retaining the original Jetronic management and dizzy, and it went very well, eager to rev and strong mid-range, indistinguishable from a D6B, although of course given the massive disparity in performance between 8v's it's hard to know whether that was representative or simply that it was a "good 'un". This would fit with my experience of the B6D and B6E 1.6 engines where any obvious difference in feel or performance can't be noticed in amongst the general difference between "good" and "bad" engines.

DamirGTI

From what i found in citroen OE books , ZX 1.9 D6E engine is same as 1.9 DKZ was fitted to early Ph1 models , just different engine management and without CAT .

1.9 D6E XU9JAK - 15.04 , Moderate emission standard

1.9 DKZ XU9JAZ - US 83 ; EEC Severe emission standards

D B)

Anthony

Managed to finally get Citroen Servicebox to work a short while ago, and a bit of research and cross-referencing against Peugeot Servicebox suggests that the D6E is basically a DKZ engine but with D6B camshaft fitted (and obviously the engine management and associated parts differences) :)

• Like 1

pug_ham

Good research work, such a shame the MP3.1 wasn't used more widely, especially with the addition of the lambda as a couple of us have done on a 1.9 engine using the ZX ecu because it makes for a great combination imo.

g

welshpug

That would explain why mine worked bloody well on a standard engine then :)

How far off is the BX engine? I seem to remember it having inlet ports more like an XU10? or was it the 1.9 405 SRi?

welshpug

just had a look myself, 0200 F2 is the 9Ja/9JAZ zx head, which is used on the 5 and 7JP engiens as well as a few carb engines, pics look like its a square port head without injector reliefs like the 205 heads.

Anthony

BX GTi and 405 SRi/GRi applications of MP3.1 are both XU9J2 (D6D IIRC) engines, which have a quite different head compared to the other XU9 8v's and probably a milder camshaft too I would imagine.. The ports are roundish (like XU10's as you say) and noticeably different profile compared to other XU5/9 engines, and the manifold is completely different with long runners, looking a little like an Mi16 manifold.

Result is a noticeably different power delivery - feels quite torquey and strong mid-range, but not as willing or eager up top, which makes sense given that it was meant for a rep-mobile rather than a hot (warm) hatch. I would imagine that the map on the ECU is quite different as a result, although it's certainly close enough that it starts and runs (I tested my 405 SRi MP3.1 ECU on the ZX before I pulled it apart)

pug_ham

BX GTi and 405 SRi/GRi applications of MP3.1 are both XU9J2 (D6D IIRC) engines, which have a quite different head compared to the other XU9 8v's and probably a milder camshaft too I would imagine.. The ports are roundish (like XU10's as you say) and noticeably different profile compared to other XU5/9 engines, and the manifold is completely different with long runners, looking a little like an Mi16 manifold.

Yeah, they also have flat top pistons instead of the usual dished versions as found on the D6B XU9JA, at least both I've stripped for bits had & the round inlet ports / Mi style inlet.

When I drove the 405 SRi I got my ecu & wiring from it went nicely enough for the car it was in but the peak power is at 5500rpm iirc yet it still has the 6900ish limiter, just it took an absolute age to get there once past 6k.

g

MikeC

"DB6 runs Bosch LE2 Jetronic (AFM based) with a distributor (no catalyst)"

Would the above be on the Phase 1.5 (remote coil mounted on inner wing)

"D6K runs Bosch Motronic MP3.1 (MAP based) with ECU controlled ignition and wasted-spark coilpack (no catalyst)"

Would this be for engine with coil mounted on Inlet Manifold

The reason i'm bothering ye is i want to work out what version of ECU i have and what characteristics the different engines have.

My own runs rough and is difficult to start when cold, but is sweet when warm.

Hope ye can help.

Mike

Anthony

Both early (wing mount) and later (inlet mounted) 1.9 non-CAT (D6B) GTi's are Jetronic LE-2 - all that differs is the coil wiring on the loom, the coil itself, and the king lead (and sometimes the location of the ignition amp). ECU, AFM, and other engine mangement related parts are identical, as is the engine itself other than minor bolt on part differences on later engines (thermostat housing, rear coolant distribution block etc)

All (UK) CAT equiped GTi's with the DKZ engine had an inlet mounted coil, but run Motronic 1.3 management.

D6E engines and the particular Motronic MP3.1 install to suit that engine were only in the Citroen ZX Volcane 1.9i models - they were never available in 205 GTi's.

MikeC

Cheers for the info Anthony. I was looking at some diagrams etc to see what possibly could be wrong with my own and i have changed the SAD.

I was looking at some schematics and see that it could be the coolant Temp sensor. I see on the same info i have found that there is an "Auxiliary Air Valve" and a "Cold start Valve"

Would this be correct for peugeot, as i am assuming that this drawing is for all L series jetronic systems and may indeed not be for the pug.

Don't mean to be a pain, but you help would be appreciated :-)

pug_ham

Cheers for the info Anthony. I was looking at some diagrams etc to see what possibly could be wrong with my own and i have changed the SAD.

I was looking at some schematics and see that it could be the coolant Temp sensor. I see on the same info i have found that there is an "Auxiliary Air Valve" and a "Cold start Valve"

Would this be correct for peugeot, as i am assuming that this drawing is for all L series jetronic systems and may indeed not be for the pug.

It could be worth starting your own topic so we know exactly what the problem is but the L Jetronic 8v 205 GTI (1.6 or 1.9) only have the SAD which is sometimes also called the auxiliary air valve or cold start valve but these are pretty hard items & not as common a failure as many will have you believe.

The coolant temp sensor is more often the cause of poor mpg rather than poor starting imo.

Get a copy of the Haynes manual for the 205 (if you haven't got one already), you can download a pdf version from m@tts signature here which has the wiring diagram you need.

g

MikeC

Cheers for that G

I did start a thread, but has pretty much been left hanging.

I have a copy of the manual, and have yet to do a full setup as suggested in other threads.

I bought the SAD second hand and was assured it is ok. (reliable member on another site :-) )

I'll get my ducks in a row and re-ignite the other thread, as the car is currently getting a Crankshaft seal and gearbox seals.

I am just wondering is all in case i need to order anything for it, as the car runs spot on when warm,

Cheers again

Mike