• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GWtaylor

Oil Cooler Should It Have One

GWtaylor

Though all the 1.9's had oil coolers but mine doesnt and its deffo a 1.9 on a L reg

deathbringer929

not 100% sure but i think all 1.9 up to 1989 had oil coolers and 1990 onwards was deleted for a twin fan set up. someone else may be able to confirm?

welshpug

No gti had twin fans unless it was aircon equipped.

AFAIK if it has PAS then it will more than likely have a remotely mounted oil filter and a heat exchanger linked off the top radiator hose, this will be just below the clutch arm bolted to the front of the gearbox.

Any non PAS non aircon manual 1.9 gti would have the Air-oil cooler I believe.

Edited by welshpug

GWtaylor

Thats cool then

Just checking that it wasnt supposed to have 1

Miles

PAS or no PAS it makes no difference, Some later 205's used a heat exchanger bolted onto the gearbox to get the oil upto temp quicker for emission reason's which removed the air cooled unit

allanallen

You don't need one.

You perhaps know more about his car than me but why doesn't he need one? I've recently fitted a standard cooler to my 1900 because it needed one.

Slo

Mine 1.9 never had any type of cooler whatsoever just the oil filter and that was it the oil never got to hot according to the guage

ORB

They are not oil coolers anyway. They are heat exchangers.

Slo

My turbo lump has one of those but i cant be arsed messing about with the water side so will be fitting an oil cooler to it instead

allanallen

They are not oil coolers anyway. They are heat exchangers.

Some cars came with 'air to oil' coolers

ORB

True, earlier 1.9s

They don't seem to do alot in my experience though!

allanallen

True, earlier 1.9s

They don't seem to do alot in my experience though!

I've fitted one to my road rally car and the oil temp now sits approx 1 and a half marks lower on the gauge when pressing on.

welshpug

The original air-oil coolers are pretty efficient, could do with a thermostat tbf!

bondyshambles

not 100% sure but i think all 1.9 up to 1989 had oil coolers and 1990 onwards was deleted for a twin fan set up. someone else may be able to confirm?

I have a 1990 1.9 phase 1.5, none PAS and it has a cooler.

GWtaylor

I have a 1990 1.9 phase 1.5, none PAS and it has a cooler.

Same my 1990 1.9 had a air cooled one thats what made me think

Simes

My current car doesn't have one, the only time it has got really hot is on track and i replaced the oil all most immediately. Since i no longer do track days the temp never goes over the 2nd mark. I've done 60,000 miles like this and driven up mountains at 35deg ambient. I do have an alloy finned sump though.

Rob_the_Sparky

Yeah, on the road I've never had a need for a cooler, I took mine off ages ago and not had an issue. The problem I see with the air-oil cooler is the lack of thermostat, so it is cooling the oil even when you don't want it to. If I were to put one back on I'd want to fit a sandwich plate with a stat rather than the stock one. Either that or retro-fit a water oil exchanger as these help heat the oil as well. Note: all for road applications though.