• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Pulling The Cam - Easier With The Head On Or Off?

shalmaneser

Taking off the head today to get it skimmed. Obviously camshafts need to come out.

Is this easier to do with the head on the block or off it?

I'd like to do it with the head on the block as the valves are protected by the block from accidental damage, but I'm a bit paranoid about the cam twisting if I take the locking pin out of the camshaft pulley and getting a valve to hit the piston.

I could take it off with the camshafts in situ and take them out with the head on a workbench but there's much more chance of damaging the valves if they're poking out the bottom of the head as I'm moving it around.

Which is the best way/has anyone got any good tips?

Thanks,

Adam.

pug_ham

Makes no difference, head on or off the block really.

They shouldn't move that much (if at all) as you undo the cam caps.

With the timing pins in the factory positions you should have plenty of clearance to remove the cams on the block as the pistons will be sat in the middle of the bore.all level at the same height.

You'll have to be pretty brutal to damage the valves with the head removed imo, they aren't that fragile.

g

shalmaneser

Thanks, that's reassuring!