• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mansfield205

Miss Firing

Mansfield205

Got the 205 in October and has been standing from then til last week.

The drive is really jerky and feels a lot worse in lower gears. Makes it really difficult to drive.

I've had the distributor cap and arm off and wiped, there was a little moisture/ grease. I'm gonna take it to a friend of mines garage to have a new distributor cap and arm, new spark plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter.

My main question is do you think doing the service above will sort it or is there other common problems that could be causing it?

Thanks

Edited by Mansfield205

Mansfield205

It's a 205 gti 1.6 H reg

pug_ham

The 205 GTI is well known for its " jerky kangarooing drive" in traffic at lower rpm but once well set up this is can be all but forgotten about, although you'll get used to riding the clutch more than in a modern car because it has a very basic fuel injection system which can be similar to an on off switch.

You shouldn't notice it once you get above 30 mph though imo.

Ask your mate to fit the best quality parts he can find for the ignition system (not intermotor) & the correct spec NGK plugs as these are about the best, especially in the 205 GTI imo.

Bosch & Champion etc don't cope with the heat build up in the ceramic outer shell due to where the sit inside the head & can often cause a slight misfire with plugs that have done very few miles.

g

• Like 1

Slo

Sounds all too familiar lol. Check out the screw that holds the oil filler neck to the inlet manifold to see if its tight. The hole goes right through and if its loose will suck air in and cause this, also check your breather hoses particularly the long one from the bottom of the inlet to the s.a.d

Mansfield205

Thanks for your replies, I've shown my mate your replies and he's going to check them out for me. I've heard about the jerky ride that the gti has, but it can't be this bad, it's almost undriveable! Even at about 40-50 mph, it still jerks a bit :(

Just a quick side question, my gear selector linkage has come loose and falls off sometimes. I rang Peugeot up and was told there's a 13mm and 10mm diameter version, any ideas which mine would be? Don't wanna order a wrong part and have to wait to get the right one! It's the part that goes width ways across the car, located low left of the engine bay, under pretty much everything else :P (crap explanation)

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your help.

Edited by Mansfield205

pug_ham

Thanks for your replies, I've shown my mate your replies and he's going to check them out for me. I've heard about the jerky ride that the gti has, but it can't be this bad, it's almost undriveable! Even at about 40-50 mph, it still jerks a bit :(

Just a quick side question, my gear selector linkage has come loose and falls off sometimes. I rang Peugeot up and was told there's a 13mm and 10mm diameter version, any ideas which mine would be? Don't wanna order a wrong part and have to wait to get the right one! It's the part that goes width ways across the car, located low left of the engine bay, under pretty much everything else :P (crap explanation)

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your help.

A badly set up car can still feel jerky at those speeds, especially on light throttle pressure but it could be due to old / worn out ignition components when can be surprisingly bad.

Which part of the gear selection has popped off?

Also, the part which can be 10mm or 13mm won't need replacing imo, it just bolts through the subframe & the lock nut works loose so two minutes with a socket set & open ended spanner will see it tightened again.

post-71-0-43818100-1363094752_thumb.jpg

Item #7 (+F & E) in the pic above.

Personally I've only seen them in 13mm & a quick look on service box (peugeot parts portal) I can only find a 13mm one listed.

If its one of the other gear rods that keep popping off, a set of uprated gear rods which are held in place by a clip are a good investment & cheaper than new standard rods from Peugeot.

g

Mansfield205

Thanks for another detailed reply :) had the gear linkage replaced today, old one was pretty knackered and I can actually put it in gear without worrying about it popping off lol. It was the 13mm one.

I've also had the air filter changed, and next week it's having new spark plugs, new dizzy and rota arm and new oil filter. The old air filter had seen better days, it's in need of a good service.

chris-gti

I had something similar with mine when i first got it. turns out the throttle return spring was too weak, fitted a stiffer one and the car drives a lot smoother. basically every bump was causing my foot to alter the throttle position, normally not an issue ina modern car but the 205 is so responsive it gives the impression of being a jerky ride.

just worth checking if your accelerator is very light.

pug_ham

Also, check your throttle cable is adjusted properly with minimal slack.

My old 309 was bad until a quick look under the bonnet revealed the cable was poorly adjusted & only just got full throttle with the foot on the carpet, too seconds to fix & made driving in traffic a world of difference.

I set it so its just of the click when closed but the smallest pressure on the pedal & you can hear the switch click open.

Makes heal & toeing much easier as well.;)

g

4ll5op

I had this problem recently and tried loads of things suggested but nothing worked.

It turned out the filter on the fuel pump had come off and was loose in the tank and there was some crap stuck to the mesh at the bottom of the pump.

cleaned it and reattached filter and been driving so much better since.

took 5 mins look under rear seats lift the larger plastic circle cover thats your pump. think they're 7mm hex bolts but mine were badly rusted so be prepared for that.

i think the filter had fallen off and it had ran low on fuel and sucked up the crap hence it bein stuck to the fuel pump im guessing restricting fuel flow

hope that helps this problem annoyed me for ages