• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dynacord

Yet Another 309 Driveshaft Question

dynacord

In general, I am putting 309gti wishbones, but I have only the right driveshaft from a 309gti.
I need a left one and I was wondering if somebody knows if the 309 diesel shafts (not td) could handle the power (it's a mi with stage3 kent cams and high CR, about 190bhp on the flywheel, tranx lsd, street tires).

I live in Bulgaria and 309gti parts are EXTREMELY rare to find. However, there are plenty of diesels. Also, wondered if the outside CV joint is replaceable with such from a 205 1.9 shaft, There are also a lot of BX diesels, but the driveshafts are a bit longer, methinks :wacko:

Also, what do you think about using the 205 shaft, and placing a spacer at the hub to ensure the shaft will not pop out?

any comments will be appreciated

alex

Edited by dynacord

camgti

Alex, the diesel shafts are the same. Just grab some of them.

Lots of people have used the 205 shafts without any problems. Others have had issues and needed to fit the 309 stuff. Its a questions that there is no real answer for.

I have used both combinations with no problems.

Cam

Anthony

309 diesel shafts are the same fitment as 309 GTi, but crucially, are often not the same shaft design.

Often they feature a base model style inner joint, and the outer CV is sometimes also base model style. I've never seen these OE on GTi models, only diesels (although aftermarket shafts are often listed the same for both, meaning that you're not quite sure which type you're going to get).

That said, a good 309 diesel shaft should be capable of handling the power IMO.

camgti

Thanks for the extra explanation. Ive always wondered that!

Cam

dynacord

well, I fitted the diesel shaft and will be driving next week on some local trackday, everything seems ok for now

anyway, think this info has already been posted many times - outer CV joints from 306/405 (everything above 1.6) is a direct fit to these shafts (including the shorter ones for 205s).

i believe the ones from xsara will also fit, so if the diesel one fails, i will be looking for a cv joint from a late xsara, than a recycled one. I won't be searching for 405 parts at all, as they are all so rusty and depreciated already

correct me if I'm wrong

alex