• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
snorty1uk

Engine Problem

snorty1uk

Hi all

Looking for some advice/help after two days I am no further forward

I have just replaced the 8v lump in my E Plated 205 gti I don't have much history on the replacement engine unfortunately.

It started ok but is a bit lumpy, if we try to start it again it floods and wont start plugs are soaked? If I clean the plugs and disconnect the injectors it starts all be it reluctantly? We are getting a great spark at the leads and plugs. We have checked the cam timing and dizzy seems correct at TDC. Today we have changed the Distributor cap, King lead, plugs, inlet manifold, AFM, also removed the SAD

I am now at a loss of where to go next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Graeme

welshpug

swapping unknown bits for unknown bits on a 20 year old car often results in this kind of situation, you need to know that the components are to spec.

Most likely to be the AFM or CTS or both, or just very poor setup.

basically grab a haynes workshop manual and a multimeter and have a fiddle for a few hours, should have it running better for not much outlay at all.

pug_ham

Have you connected the SAD & coolant temp sensor plugs correctly?

CTS has a blue plug (same colour as sensor) & SAD has a black plug but they can be mixed up very easily.

g

snorty1uk

Thanks Both will check the temp sensor this afternoon!

ALEX

Has the Throttle position switch been touched, if it's set wrong it tells the ECU the throttle is open when it isn't. (was the cause of my problem,)

Also check for air leaks as when you think you have enough together to get it to run, a common missed bolt can be the Oil filler to inlet manifold.

Anthony

Has the Throttle position switch been touched, if it's set wrong it tells the ECU the throttle is open when it isn't. (was the cause of my problem,)

Unlikely to be TPS related on an 8v, and easy to prove by simply unplugging it.

All the TPS does on an 8v is trigger the over-run fuel cutoff for economy reasons (throttle fully closed) and trigger WOT fuel enrichment (throttle fully open). It can be knackered or unplugged and the engine will still start, idle and drive just fine, if a little down on power at large throttle openings.

Does sound like a fuelling related issue - check also for any loom damage or pins that have been pushed in whilst plugging and unplugging stuff. Had that on a friends GTi that had similar symptoms to yours, and turned out that one of the pins on the AFM plug had pushed through and wasn't making contact, meaning the ECU had no idea and was just throwing fuel in.

If you get really stuck, I can possibly pop up and take a look for you one evening next week :)

• Like 1

snorty1uk

Thanks for all the replies!

didn't get much further unfortunately, might have to take you up on your offer Anthony!