• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clayts

Which Flywheel Is This?

clayts

Hi All,

Yesterday I managed to remove the gearbox and clutch from my 205 Mi16. The reason for this was the clutch was slipping badly and obviously in need of replacement.

The engine is 1.9 Mi16, with a BE1 gearbox also from a 405.

I have some history of the 16v conversion, and I knew that the clutch was aftermarket, as there is a receipt from Walkers Garage in the UK.

So I was surprised to find that the Flywheel seems to be from a 205, as the contact area on the flywheel is 200mm (image attached).

I am not sure why, but perhaps a previous owner ordered an upgraded clutch kit from the UK, but received a 205 clutch instead of a Mi16 clutch - and then rather than get another clutch, reverted to the 205 flywheel.

The clutch is a paddle styled clutch, which will be rebuilt by an expert here in Oz who does similar work on race cars etc.

But am I at a disadvantage by running the smaller 205 flywheel and clutch versus the 215mm Mi16 flywheel/clutch?

Or any other thoughts on why a very tidy 16v conversion would run the 200mm flywheel?

Cheers lads

post-16093-0-32538000-1362359838_thumb.jpg

j_turnell

The flywheel face looks like its had a hard life, if your running a paddle clutch then i don't think it will make much difference 200 or 215mm, plus i'd imagine the 205 item to be a bit lighter, which is only a good thing. Is the engine stock, do you need a paddle clutch? Are you running a crank sensor, cant make out a timing ring on the flywheel?

Anthony

At a glance, that looks like a standard (non-CAT) 1.9 GTi flywheel, which would explain it being 200mm and (from what I can see) no 60-2 Motronic timing teeth.

Do I assume that your conversion is still utilising the original 8v distributor?

Anyway, in answer to your question, a 200mm paddle clutch should be fine if you don't want to refit the correct flywheel - certainly a friends 205 Mi16 ran fine for years on a standard 200mm clutch, including several trackdays, and that was a mildly tuned example with carbs and cams, and we were none the wiser until we removed the gearbox and flywheel to change a leaky crank seal. If it's a road going car, I would question using a paddle clutch though.

clayts

Thanks Gents,

The car is used only for Hill Climbs, Sprints and track days, so the heavier paddle clutch is appropriate.

I can only think that perhaps the smaller flywheel was used because it's lighter.

The only reason I wish to refit the 200mm flywheel is to match it up with the clutch that is being restored. The flywheel has a groove in the surface and will need machining or (most likely) replacing.

And what is the difference between the 8v & 16v distributor?

Cheers

Clayts

welshpug

1.9 16v simply has a rotor arm and cap on the end of the inlet cam, the timing all controlled by the ecu, uses a tdc sensor on a 60-2 flywheel.

Anthony

I can only think that perhaps the smaller flywheel was used because it's lighter.

Actually, the 1.9 8v flywheel is marginally heavier than the Mi16 one (approx 7kg vs 6.5kg from memory)

Rob_the_Sparky

Actually, the 1.9 8v flywheel is marginally heavier than the Mi16 one (approx 7kg vs 6.5kg from memory)

1.6 fly is 6 and a bit kg (can't remember the exact number) and from memory the 1.9 is 7.2kg - but it has been a long time since I weighed them!