• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boeseturbo

Driveshaft Problems (Td Engine In 205 Xad)

boeseturbo

Hi friends,

I have a driveshaft-problem in made 1994 205 XAD. I converted it to XUD9TE engine with 306 gearbox (early made 1994). Now the left shaft didn't fit in the gearbox of standard XAD shaft.

I already build GTI with this problem. I only changed the inner part of shaft with this one from 306. But in this case, the driveshafts seems to be thinner (smaller). Is their a good solution, I must I use

GTI driveshafts and hubs and mod than the inner part of shaft with the one from 306?

Cheers

Jan

Anthony

Just swap the differential from the 205 gearbox into the 306 gearbox (remembering to swap the crownwheel over)

boeseturbo

Just swap the differential from the 205 gearbox into the 306 gearbox (remembering to swap the crownwheel over)

Dear Anthony,

can I remove the diff without deinstall the complete gearbox? Has anybody pictures how it look inside? Didn't made any gearboxchanges yet :/.... I think I have to deinstall diff from the big gearwheel right? Or change

it with it?

Cheers and thank you very much for quick reply!

Cheers

Jan

Anthony

The differential can be swapped without stripping the complete gearbox.

• You need to remove the speedo drive housing (3 x 13mm head bolts) and remove the differential housing (4 x 16mm head bolts and 4 x 11mm head bolts)
  • You can then remove the differential with crownwheel attached.
  • Remove the crownwheel (8 x 17mm head bolts) from the 306 differential, and fit it to the 205 differential. You will probably need new bolts, as they often strip when being removed.
  • Fit the 205 differential (with 306 crownwheel) into the 306 gearbox, using the complete bearings from the 205 (or replace with new if they're worn)
  • Refit the differential housing, using a little sealant between the faces.
  • Refit the speedo drive housing, checking/replacing the rubber O-ring seal. A little sealant is a good idea too.
  • Fit new driveshaft oil seals at the same time

Hope that helps. It's the same process as fitting an LSD for example, so there should be guides/pictures from people doing that :)

• Like 1

boeseturbo

Dear Anthony,

very thanks for your great help! Thanks for spending the time! I will try it tomorrow after work :)

Cheers

boeseturbo

Dear Anthony,

very thanks for your great help! Thanks for spending the time! I will try it tomorrow after work :)

Cheers

Anthony,

was a bit tricky without remove gearbox from car, but I finished it ! Thank you very much!

Cheers

Jan

calvinhorse

Or swap the inner cv for the Peugeot 306 one

Fed up of saying that but I will fight the cause!!

Tom Fenton

Cal, base diesels use 1600 type shafts, the 306 inner CV won't fit.

welshpug

Other than ABS models which use 1.9 hubs and shafts, all diesel models use base model hubs and 1.6 type shafts.

There are two types of inboard joint used as well, a full cup type same as a 1.9 though of differing dimensions and incompatible as Tom suggestested as far as I know, there is also the weaker type with the steel cover fixed to the CV boot as used by base model shafts, these were found on XU51C's not gti's.

calvinhorse

Well I think for the time being a moderator needs to remove my posts regarding this.

However I have seen this done and the concept isn't a complete no no.

Anthony

For 1.9 or 309 shafts, it certainly is one easy way of dealing with it, although personally I'm not entirely happy with the concept of mixing parts from two different shafts and would rather swap the diff over for the "correct" one so that you can use an off the shelf driveshaft. Plenty of people have used a 306 inner CV to good effect though.

You can't do this on 1.6/diesel and base model shafts though as these have a different style/fitment inner.

Of course, everyone know the right way to fix the issue is to just fit an LSD :D

was a bit tricky without remove gearbox from car, but I finished it ! Thank you very much!

Glad that you got it sorted :)

You can actually do the diff swap with the gearbox still in the car if you undo the lower engine mount and tilt the engine forward enough to give sufficient clearance between the gearbox and subframe (or just remove the subframe). However, it's almost as easy just removing the gearbox, especially if it's your first time doing the job.

• Like 1

boeseturbo

yes, I also use at my 205 Turbo this concept... inner from citroen xantia... outer part is gti-shaft.

But on my XAD it is the smaller axle, so small driveshafts and the 306 part won't fit :(

Cheers

• Like 1