• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richystran

1.9 Or 1.6 Bottom End?

richystran

Ok i have a head built up for my 205 and i have a choice of two bottom ends. A 1.6 and a 1.9, what would be the advantage of using the 1.9 over the 1.6 and vise versa. My mechanic said that the 1.6 would be a real torque monster but did not mention whether the bhp would be decreased etc

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Anthony

In general terms, more capacity = more torque.

Unless you're building with competition use in mind, I personally can't see any reason to go for the 1600 bottom end given that there's no weight penalty for the 1900 and it will be quicker, everywhere, than the 1600.

richystran

In general terms, more capacity = more torque.

Unless you're building with competition use in mind, I personally can't see any reason to go for the 1600 bottom end given that there's no weight penalty for the 1900 and it will be quicker, everywhere, than the 1600.

Thought that myself anthony! Dunno where he was coming from in the torque idea. Its in no way competition based its just a really fast road car. Something to take out on the weekends for some adrenaline rushes lol

dcc

Sometimes people prefer the eagerness and revvy nature of the 1.6

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Sometimes people prefer the eagerness and revvy nature of the 1.6

But that's only because they haven't driven a 1.9 and they're kidding themselves :D

• Like 1

pugdamo

But that's only because they haven't driven a 1.9 and they're kidding themselves :D

Iv had 2 1.9's and iv just ripped the motor out of my 309 and fitted a 2.0 turbo,i find the 1.9 too lazy,yes its a torquey motor but if you want to put your foot down it just never made me smile,iv had my 1.6 205 for around 6 years now and havnt even considered an engine swap,everytime i drive it i love it.

A 1.6 fan here

• Like 1

ALEX

I know the valves are the same but aren't the cams different in a 1.6 to a 1.9?

calvinhorse

Iv had 2 1.9's and iv just ripped the motor out of my 309 and fitted a 2.0 turbo,i find the 1.9 too lazy,yes its a torquey motor but if you want to put your foot down it just never made me smile,iv had my 1.6 205 for around 6 years now and havnt even considered an engine swap,everytime i drive it i love it.

A 1.6 fan here

I should have said 1.9 with a 1.6 box ;)

DamirGTI

You're mechanic overlooked the 1.9 DFZ bottom end ! .. that one paired with 1.9 D6B head will make an really torque powerful engine , it'll be something entirely different to the OE 1.6 and 1.9 engines :)

Mi tuned 8v plays with the mi16 powered 205 on a twisty/bendy road like a hooligan :lol:

D B)

MikeC

Open to correction here, and i welcome it :lol: But i thought the 1.6 and 1.9 blocks were the same, only a different set of bore liners. Cranks would be different i assume.

welshpug

Close but no cigar mike, same liners, same block.

shorter stroke crank, 7mm longer rods, smaller dish in the piston.

• Like 1

MikeC

Close but no cigar mike, same liners, same block.

shorter stroke crank, 7mm longer rods, smaller dish in the piston.

Cheers for that. If i'm stuck for a block i can use a 1600 which is good, as i can get a hold of a good few of these but not 1.9 ;)