• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

16V Gti With Dizzy?

dartman

am currently converting my 106 gti 16v to bike carbs, i was going to try and use the originall ecu to control spark, but car is hotrod on oval circuit, and didnt like the idear of all those wires, so may be the stupidist qeustion ever but can you run a dizzy from the cam in the 16v by going through the cam covers at gearbox end ad attaching it up, would be using the dizzy unit from another tu engine.

has anyone ever thought of this, or is this a big no go.

dcc

I dont think the cams have a lug to drive the dizzy. Can you not just fit a wasted spark ignition only ECU?

dartman

ignition only is my next plan but bit costly, i realise there would be no lug on the cam shaft, but goin to cut the cam on the other tu engine and see if i can do somthing with the lug on that. is it a case of 'it cant be done' or just that nobody has bothered to do it?

dcc

why would you want to :| im not sure how the timing would be effected if you cant cut a lug in the correct place, or if it will work at all...

It will easily take you hours to get your head around, which you could be spending doing other bits, and find yourself a cheapy 2nd hand ecu for next to nothing to run ignition only

welshpug

WIRES FTW.

Nobody does it because its a backwards step, as well as lots of work and still ultimately a big compromise, same as fitting carbs to a 16v TU.

a properly fabricated bike throttle body inlet will be more reliable and produce more power and torque than your classic bodged up bike carb setup.

An ignition only ecu is very cheap.

dartman

cheers welshpug yep agree on the bodies, and yer everyone slates carbs on 16v but i cant run injection in my formula so dont have much choice im afraid.

dartman

and looks like i will just run an msd ignition to do the job.

welshpug

omex 200, S40 ignition only,quite a few out there that'll do the trick

why aren't you allowed injection? that's daft given 99% of the cars being used never ran a carb?

dartman

yer i know does seem abit daft, most run a ford pinto engine tbh but sooner or later i would have thought they would have to change the rules to allow injection. other mad modifications i have done to my car include huge radiator on the rollcage were the back seats would be and a internal exhaust that exits out the passenger door, no glass no lights, no mirrors, no dash, no interior, i run 15" speedline 1.9 wheels on the front and citreon saxo 13" steels on the back to squat the arse down. its good fun tinkering as deosnt have to be road legal, but the carbs realy are a pain in the arse.

Edited by dartman

welshpug

damn, I'd be buggering off to rallycross personally :D