• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arwel

Mi16 With 8V Sump?

arwel

Im in the middle of rebuilding the rally car. I have an Mi16 to go in. I removed the sump to fit a baffle and give it a quick check over but it turns out its been fitted with a 205 gti sump rather than the MI6 one. It came out of a 205 so could have been when it was fitted in the last car. Are there any benefits to using the 8v sump or should I source a mi16 sump and have done with it?

Arwel

Tom Fenton

I would leave the 8v one on, a steel sump will take a bash and dent or bend, the same bash will smash an alloy sump and your engine will be fooked shortly afterwards. If you are doing gravel rallying I'd stick with steel. The mi16 finned alloy sump helps with oil cooling BUT with a sumpguard you lose the airflow.

• Like 1

brumster

+1'd ^^

My BX-sourced XU9J4 came with tin sump already, incidently, so not all "mi16"'s necessarily will have the alloy sump.

Edited by brumster

arwel

The 8v one is shallower than the Mi16 one though. I've read a lot about the oil management issue so would the shallower sump help or hinder the issue?

Miles

Overall depth's are all the same depth, Just the 1.9 and Mi16 sump are shallower because of the block skirt, But as said a Tim sump is the one to use even on GTi6 engine's I use them because the alloy ones don;t like being hit

arwel

Ok, thanks guys. Hopefully get the engine in the week now.