• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Bilstein Group A Coilovers

Guest Bigj
Do you mean the spring becomes loose when u jack it up?

I assume my forest dampers will have longer pistons ? So i will have even more chance of the loose spring effect

The " loose spring effect" as you call it is not uncommon on rally cars.

We used to wire the springs to the spring pans to keep them located at full droop

I have seen steel cable connected to the bottom wishbone of some vehicles and attached to the body/chassis to stop it happening too.

HTH

John

Sam

src="file:///D:/My%20Documents/Simon/Car%20Pics/Me%20At%20Drumhorc%202002.jpg"

Thats the problem its linking to your local pc adress, how it worked for your mate i don't know....

Sam

205gti_grpa_2002.jpg

205gti_grpa_2003.jpg

And u are using tarmac inserts and these custom sbc springs?

Sam

What rate are the springs? i don't have an sbc catalogue ^_^

SimonJ

Yes, bottom pic is using SBC springs and both pics show tarmac inserts.

Catalogue in front of me:

SB 28050 Rally spring Tarmac dual rate 205 9" £24.00

The dual rate must be the key to the improved ride height.

Sam

i might have to enquire, i guess i will just have to run mine a little higher,

do they do a 10" forest low spring? still with dual rate? Obviously ride height will be higher but i won't get the loose spring effect and the spring will match the dampening...

cheers

sam

SimonJ

Will check when I get home. My catalogue is a few months old though so you may be better ringing and asking for one.

Sam

Whats ther number again? please

cybernck

not sure i understood this right... with pts bilstein coilovers, even with tarmac

inserts and lowered to the max, it will only be at the standard ride height or

just a few mm's lower? :lol:

sounds too weird to me.

but then again, if they're gr.n items, that explains it.

edit: just seen they're gr.a actually... perhaps they found the suspension

to work the best on std height then, because of the wishbones and better

other stuff like driveshafts as well?

gr.n 106 rallyes are set-up pretty high (standard height) but handle amazing!

Guest Tommy F

pts bilsteins are designed for rally use were you require a reasonable hide height and amount of suspension travel. Because even on tarmac rallies you are not running on a super smooth race track but lanes, airfields etc with junctions cattlegrids and corners to cut. So if you run out of travel wheels come off the ground causing a loss of traction and wishbones, topmounts, etc. snap.

Adi
So if you run out of travel wheels come off the ground causing a loss of traction and wishbones, topmounts, etc. snap.

Worse than that.....if the suspension runs out of travel.....the chassis is left to absorb the remaining energy. If the tyre leaves the ground.....and loses traction, the car can end up visiting the scenery.

It still suprises me that so many people think that to make a car handle well, the chassis has to be lllllloooowwwwww.

90-95% of handling improvement when lowering a car will come from the higher spring rates rather than the lower centre of gravity.

Even a F1 car with 4000-5000lb spring rates has 40mm suspension travel and the dampers will move more than that. Yet these lowered road cars will not have much more suspension travel and only have 200-250lb springs.

Sam

grp_a_coilovers.jpg

have to see how i get on now then, i feel the back having to be raised tho, o well

Edited by Rallye

Sam

Looks like i will be getting some lower springs from sbc then, do they do forest low lol, i might get some tarmac springs and wire them to the pans as said by adi and bigj

ride_height.jpg

ride_height_2.jpg

Guest chownr

Ive got my hands on some second hand Billie coilovers with Group A top mounts. Pretty good condition but need overhauling. Anyone got a source for replacement parts such as nuts, sleeves and bearings? or do people just use any bearings nuts etc?

Thanks

Rich

Sam

chownr: try skip brown cars, i wish i had the group a top mounts !

Just got off the phone to sbc and they can machine my inserts (to shorten them) for £25 + vat (apparently tarmac inserts are just as long) and supply with the 240lb dual rate springs as above for £48+vat. so looks like i will be in contact with them soon :D can't wait :D

SimonJ

So was this (shortening the inserts) something that they recognised needed doing and had done before or did it seem strange to them? Expecting and hoping the former and will definitely get mine done if so, especially as I may move to 14" wheels. Was it £25 each or for the pair?

Sam

£25 + vat each, and she said 'i'll just go see what we can do', then she came back and said 'right we can machine your inserts to shorten them' and then i asked if i could use their dual rate springs with and she said yes. Bonus, i am just going to phone up to see how long it will take to do (turnaround time really)

Sam

Sent the shocks to sbc, dell seemed really cool and knows her stuff, £130 later and it all should be ok :( New springs and shortened inserts for that :o

Nathan_marriott

Ive just fitted Forest inserts/Springs on my rally car, this is ideal for stage rallying, but for the road it is abit jumpy, not suitable for smooth road rallies, so for this is change the springs for tarmac springs on the forest dampers.

I've also got GP N top rubbers (Doughnuts) in the top this makes the steering feel more responsive.

As for setting them up i wind the bottom plates up untill they touch the spring then tighten up the locking ring when it tight, if i want to lower it i just swap the springs for a shorter length.

I have just had made some non adjustable platform strut bodies that take the bilstein insert and 2 1/4 springs, if you are interested then pm me and i can give detail on prices etc......

Sam

I should get them back tomorrow dell said, can't wait :(

Sam

Got them back last night, looks like what they have done is thread the section that you usally put the spacer on for the group n mounts [becasue the inserts are obviously designed for group a mounts so you need a spacer] and then chopped it off, so travel etc and rebound all remain the same, should be a decent height, i have still got to put them together properly....

sus_after_shortening.jpg

Edited by Rallye

Sign in to follow this