• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Any Opinions On This 'sportex' Exhaust Back Box?

Tom Fenton

Cheap noisy crap.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Fartex

• Like 1

glenwah

Fitted one to my 205 gti6 ONLY because I got the whole system for £25, if you have an angle grinder and a welder you can make it fit but otherwise they are not even close, mine needed quite a bit of adaption, spend a bit more and get something better.

• Like 1

Paul_13

A mate had one on his gti6 205 and it was really noisy. Had the awful boom around 3-4k

I'd avoid and go elsewhere

scottbarton

Good stuff... Cheers gents. Will avoid it like the plague then! :-)

Any alternative suggestions?

farmer

What about an Ashley exhaust ? What's peoples thought's on them?

GLPoomobile

Gashley

• Like 2

welshpug

sick with standard.

Miles does a nice exhaust,

farmer

GLP what's your recommendation ?? That isn't gash or sounds like a fart after findus lasagna ?

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

I knew you'd ask that. Serves me right for being cheeky! :D

Honestly, these days I don't know really. Probably a good custom made system, but by someone who knows what they are doing with exhausts, not just some Longlife/Powerflow franchise that can throw something together with their off the shelf mufflers and make the welds look pretty (if your are lucky).

There's not really any decent off the shelf systems for 205 GTIs any more due to the age of em. I always liked the Scorpion systems.

GLPoomobile

sick with standard.

But what OE equivalents are good these days? It always used to be the case that some were very poor and strangled flow.

scottbarton

I only want to smarten the rear end up by having a shiny tail pipe, something a bit bigger than the the standard one, and a nice polished stainless pipe. There is the 'Devil' stainless back box i was also looking at as well. I see it in the for sale section a while ago.

Is that any good?

farmer

I bought a walker back box the other day for a friend be interesting to see what that is like. Certainly there middle sections look the part with splitter. GLP I do like the scorpion systems as well, embarrassing enough I had a twin pipe exit on my one litre 205 four speed.

GLPoomobile

I only want to smarten the rear end up by having a shiny tail pipe, something a bit bigger than the the standard one, and a nice polished stainless pipe. There is the 'Devil' stainless back box i was also looking at as well. I see it in the for sale section a while ago.

Is that any good?

If you are happy enough with what's on there at the moment and only want to change the look, perhaps you could refresh the backbox with a lick of paint and get a discreet chromed or polished pipe welded to the box.

I've no experience with Devil exhausts but for some reason I've got it in my head that they well regarded. I could be way off the mark though. I don't think they were so common over here as on the continent.

farmer

I can get a new standard walker back box for 36 delivered and thats with New clamp Scott?

scottbarton

I can get a new standard walker back box for 36 delivered and thats with New clamp Scott?

Have you got any pics?

farmer

No but it will be to the original specification.

farmer

Am trying to get a photograph just now. Send me your email once I get it will forward to you.

cheesegrater

I had a sportex and it was s*it