• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Projectuno

Daily Use? 205 Gti

Projectuno

Do many of you use your 205 GTi everyday for commuting etc?

My current car is a modern Porsche, but I previously ran a completely standard Renault 5 GT Turbo for 2 years so am familiar with using a car of the same era.

pug_ham

I don't presently but did for a few months last year while my 306 hdi was having an engine swap & then ecu / immobiliser issues.

g

minimaniacwhyard

I used to run a cti day to day for about 8 months without any issues at all. I think im lucky though tbh. Plus i was only doing on avarage 20 miles a day.

Ash13

I do, nothing wrong with it really, the windscreen seems to freeze on the inside when other cars seem fine and it's pretty terrible on fuel. Other than that i can't complain.

Anthony

Not quite daily, but both my 205's get used frequently for my 75 mile round trip commute. I enjoy driving them, they're reliable, comfortable and pretty economical, so why not?

• Like 1

stufarri

My CTI and GTI are alternated as dailies and are used in all weathers. My commute is only 6 miles to the train station though.

Edited by stufarri

Miles

Nope, I hardly use the Gentry I have unless it's a emergency. I'm used to climate control and heated seats

Only time I did was back in 1988 when I had my first one

BlueBolt

I use my 205 GTI6 with ITB's every day, admittedly its only 7 miles to work, but it often turns into a 20 mile trip home just for the drive.

No problems with it at all, would rather be in my 205 for the journey than the Seat Leon family car

• Like 2

AlexRS2782

I did use mine as a daily up to the middle of last year when i got my Saxo VTS back on the road to hack around in.

My 205 never let me down while i was using it as a daily, but i kept on top of maintenance, etc, so this was probably why, but i must admit i'm happier now that the 205 is no longer a daily as i can enjoy it more when i take it out for a good drive :)

Edited by AlexRS2782

DamirGTI

Full 10 years of daily use :) , A roads B roads , motorway long runs , town - everything and everywhere !

Just , this year i had to fit an LPG , cos i cannot afford to run it on petrol anymore :ph34r:

D B)

Edited by DamirGTI

Simes

Nope, mine sits idle apart from the odd meet or a late night spin, or a 2000 mile trip across France.

bigalthenutter

i did 21000 miles in 12 months just ate tyres but that was my driving style ;)

iPlod999

Done about 10k in the past 15 months. Daily commute is 20 miles per day 6 days a week.

Have the odd 140 mile round trip to the parents.

Replaced a water pipe, had the hot starting problem (sorted by Jackherer) and just had the thermostat replaced a couple of weeks ago.

Other than the above it has been fine. :)

Daviewonder

I've been using 205s as dailys for the past 6 years with no problems at all :)

• Like 1

Paul_13

I use a 205 diesel as a daily

The gti got used for about a month as a daily and all manner of things went wrong ;P

But that's just me

diesel has had its fair few problems recently

Edited by Paul_13

Projectuno

83179f77646f3dd2f90c3afbf52dc8cf.jpg

This is what I intend to use daily once MOT'd next Saturday.

Edited by Projectuno

johnnyboy666

I've had 205's for about 7years now (and got through 7 of them) but whenever I've had a 205, I've had one as my daily driver. I've had various jobs in that time, varying for 2 mile a day commute up to my current 80miles per shift (longer shifts so less days worked).

Although they can occasionally trip you up, for the majority of it, I love it! I've had my engine changed from 1.4 to a 1.6 16v, so that's made it a bit more relaxed on motorways, not revving the tits off it all the time.

Overall, its comfortable, nippy, efficient, and a bloody good larf when I want it to be. Even with the stiffer suspension set up in mine (see sig) its still fine for me for long distances.

You might find that the rattles that give the 205 its character get on your nerves a bit, but then that'll motivate you to find them and sort them one by one! (My current niggle is the inner boot panel rattling, but im probably noticing that more as I havent got a parcel shelf in at the mo)

The MOST annoying thing BAR NONE, for me is the lack of bl**dy cup holders!! So if your commute starts at 5am like me, you might want to factor a way around that, so your thermos mug of coffee (strong black, one sugar please) has a place to live! I've got one of the cheapo cup holders off ebay that slide between the drivers window and the window seal, and i've lost count of the times ive turned up to work wearing my coffee. And my cup even has a lid!

Second annoying thing for me, is my heater controls are stuck in the 'screen and feet' position so i get hot feet whilst trying to demist the windscreen!

These are just petty things, but of course the real thing to bare in mind is being able to fix it quick when/if something breaks. Theres nothing worse than having to stay up till god knows when, if a part fails on you. It's not so bad for me now as I tend to have between 4 and 7 days off in a row, so plenty of time to fix pretty much anything (touch wood). But if something where to brake at the start of my week, I know I've then got 320miles to do in either a broken car or on a wing and a prayer.

another thing worth mentioning, is it depends on what type of roads your on too. City centre traffic in a 205 aint much fun! also if you have to carry any work related stuff in the car (tools etc) and the commute is twisty B roads, then you'll want to make sure stuff isn't flinging about the car!

Also might be worth having parts in 'stock' just in case, like drive-shafts, brake parts, etc so your not waiting for parts.

Anyway I've jabbered on enough, short answer, yes, do it and enjoy it, but look after it, it doesn't take long for something overlooked to be a right pain in the arse!

(nice car by the way!!)

pugdamo

I use mine everyday and love it,but the only problem i have is i have to really think where to park it,nobody cares about opening a door into it,i even had someone leaning there door on my wing and when i went mental they said its only an old car and my door is only resting on it,that comment really helped,me calm down,lol.

Seriously though,your car looks amazing,just dont leave it anywhere,some mindless idiot will just assume its an old banger and open a door into it or drive into it.

Richie

Yeah, every day. Actually my current 1.9 is the most reliable car i've owned.

welshpug

Yup, 11k last year.

Ciaran76

I use mine every day, my commute is only 4 miles each way but weekend and holidays it gets a blast on the open road.

sensualt101

i use mine as a daily and have for the last 2 years and it has never let me down including commuting 35 miles approx to work and the same back and 5 trips from lancashire to kent and have done nothing to her except normal maintenance :)

having said that i do intend to take her off the road and get a cheap diesel to run as a daily to get my 205gti minty and reduce the amount of miles i am putting on the clock!

Edited by sensualt101

aarontrophy

I use my 205 GTI6 with ITB's every day, admittedly its only 7 miles to work, but it often turns into a 20 mile trip home just for the drive.

No problems with it at all, would rather be in my 205 for the journey than the Seat Leon family car

What a lad :)

• Like 1

S@m

50 miles a day in mine - and i love it. Never do i wish i had something more modern - sometimes i car share with my brother so we alternate between my 205 and an '08 civic type R - If anything the seats and ride are more comfortable in the 205.

As mentioned, the only problem is somewhere to put your coffee - thats why i keep my spare pair of shoes in the passenger footwell for use as cupholders - works a treat. If only i could find somewhere to put an audi one like the 106/Saxo guys do - future project perhaps.

Sam

Edited by Sam306