• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cRaig

1.6 Drive Shafts Into A Gt6 Box

cRaig

Hello All,

Apologies for posting about an issue which has been covered many many times, but I cannot find anything definitive on the google search, and as the car is in bits at the side of the road, we could do with knowing sooner rather than later! :D

My mate has fitted a GTi6 engine and 6speed box to his 1989 1.6 205, which is currently running standard 1.6 suspension.

Can we fit 1.6 shafts into the GTi6 box, or, as I suspect, is the inner joint too long as it goes into the diff?

My second question is can we change the inner cv's on 1.6 shafts, or do we need a pair of 1.9 shafts?

Thanks for your help

Craig

welshpug

fit a 205 diff, or any other BE diff with the smaller planet gears.

cRaig

Ah, very logical! Although not that easy now the engine and box are fitted!

Are there any other ways around it, such as fitting 1.9 shafts and hubs? I may have a spare pair, or are they the same as the 1.6 for inner length?

Thanks

Craig

cRaig

I guess if we drop the subframe we can get to the diff casing easily enough in the car :)

welshpug

no need to drop the subframe, just the rear engine mount link :) loosening the other mounting nuts might help if you have stiffer mounts.

1.6 and 1.9 inners are the same spline pattern, only the cup itself for the tripod joint is different, the larger diff requires a shorter end which afaik will only fit a 1.9 shaft.

Edited by welshpug

Miles

Diff change, Mixing old D/S parts is never the best idea and when you come to change it at least you will only need to order 1 shaft and not 2, Mind I have seen a well known company in the Midlands chop the end off the shaft and grind down the non splined bit so it would slide in enough to fit

cRaig

Were we supposed to swap the CWP to the 306 unit? Because we have an issue with no drive and lots of unhappy noises coming from the gearbox when you attempt to move it.

Craig

Tom Fenton

Were we supposed to swap the CWP to the 306 unit? Because we have an issue with no drive and lots of unhappy noises coming from the gearbox when you attempt to move it.

Craig

The crownwheel (bolted to the diff) is matched to the pinion (inside the gearbox on end of main shaft) so you need to swap around as required to keep the crownwheel with the pinion.

So in your case, drop cover off, 306 diff and crownwheel comes out together. Unbolt crownwheel from 306 diff. Take 205 diff, inbolt 205 crownwheel. Bolt 306 crownwheel to 205 diff. Reinstall in gearbox.

cRaig

Awesome. Wish we had realised that earlier! Still, not too much work to sort, thanks :)