• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
minimaniacwhyard

1.1 Fuel Economy Problems

minimaniacwhyard

have a little minor issue. my car is using astronomical amounts of fuel for a little 1.1. had the sparks out and it looked like it was running lean.

a little bit more information. if driving within the lower rev range she hesitates a little bit. like a little misfire. if i pull the choke out a little it sorts out that. meaning in my opinion its running lean for definite . but the using loads of fuel. a full tank in 270 miles.

i can understand that its on a carb and therefore uses more fuel than injection but this seems excessive. i cant see any leaks anywhere either.

any suggestions would be appreciated. as im stumped. also not sure how to set these carbs up. only ever been involved in su carbs

TooMany2cvs

Sounds like there might be an air leak - is the carb bolted tightly to the manifold? Try spraying some carb cleaner around the base of the carb with the engine idling - if it speeds up, then there's probably an air leak.

There's not much to set up on a single-choke Solex.

minimaniacwhyard

Should have said i checked everything was tight. Couple of loose buts like the bit where the choke attaches but i couldnt find any air leaks and i soaked it in carb cleaner

TooMany2cvs

Thought about this dim-and-distant thread this morning. Our 1.1 has been feeling a bit lean of late, a little hesitant, and not quite right. But, after giving it a few new bits on Sunday, it's transformed. Much smoother, nicer from cold, starts easier. Oh, and the last tankful's seen 46.5mpg... OK, all motorway, but quite a chunk of that at <ahem> tappet-rattling rev cruise altitude in top (4th)...

Oil & filter (5w30 full synth - probably a bit thin, but it seems happy, no oil pressure light even at hot idle)

Plugs, HT leads, dist cap, rotor arm, air filter.

Check tappets.

Not exactly low mileage, either - 148k miles...

• Like 1