• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

1 Man Brake Fluid Change Tool

BlueBolt

I'm sure I've seen some mentioned on here before but I can't find anything on a search (even fired up the laptop to search better).

I've got a few brake fluid changes to do on my car, the other halfs car, and a mates car also... Just wondering what people use and how good they really are??

Thanks

Matt205

I use a eesibleed kit which I've had for years and it has always done the job.

BlueBolt

Thank you.

They look excellent!! That's just what I've been looking for!! Can't believe how easy that looks to work with the pressure from the spare...!!

Cheap for the apparent ease too!!

Anyone use anything else for comparison or is this kit the one to go for??

Anthony

I've got an EZ Bleed too and it works, although it isn't without issue,

I personally find that it doesn't always seal very well on some 205 reservoirs (seems fine on 306 and 406 ones though) and if you use the kit as it is supposed to be used, any leaks (let alone it popping off completely, which I've had) will spray brake fluid everywhere which isn't fun.

What I tend to do is remove the bottle part completely, fill the reservoir, and then plumb the airline straight onto the reservoir to push the fluid through. You'll need to disconect it occasionally to top the fluid up if you're doing the whole system, but it's much safer doing it that way.

It wouldn't be hardy to fabricate one yourself using a spare reservoir cap from a 306/406, an appropriate fitting in the top, and the hose from an old footpump.

I've not tried the vacuum type Graham mentioned, but it sounds like a good idea and should eleminate the issues with the pressure types.

marksorrento205
DamirGTI

A cheap one to DIY :

1. some aquarium tubing

2. one empty plastic bottle of cola 0.5l

3. some old brake fluid

Now , drill an small hole on the bottle cap , run the aquarium tube trough the hole on the cap and stuff it down into the bottle (but not so much ! just say 10cm of tube , the end needs to be on the bottom .

Put some old brake fluid into the bottle (say till the middle) , put the cap with the tube back on top and tight it snug .

Can proceed now with the bleeding by yourself - slide the other end of the aquarium tube on the bleeding nipple , knock the bleeder loose , top up the reservoir with fluid , get into the car and pump the pedal 5 to 7 times .. get out , close the bleeder and remove the hose and repeat on other wheels until done .

This way , it can't suck any air into the system (cos the other end of the tube is immersed into the fluid inside the bottle).. so by one man job , can pump as much as you want !

Damir B)

minimaniacwhyard

Just get a pressure bleeder. Sealy do one for about £70 online. I use it at work all the time just top the fluid up in the bleeder connect it. Pressurise and away you go easy as pie. Other wise i use the pedal pumping process that has already been mentioned

BlueBolt

Quite expensive for effectively the same bit of kit as the Eazibleeder already mentioned, but I see it has its own source of pressure rather than the spare wheel... Like it none the less!!

A cheap one to DIY :

1. some aquarium tubing

2. one empty plastic bottle of cola 0.5l

3. some old brake fluid

Now , drill an small hole on the bottle cap , run the aquarium tube trough the hole on the cap and stuff it down into the bottle (but not so much ! just say 10cm of tube , the end needs to be on the bottom .

Put some old brake fluid into the bottle (say till the middle) , put the cap with the tube back on top and tight it snug .

Can proceed now with the bleeding by yourself - slide the other end of the aquarium tube on the bleeding nipple , knock the bleeder loose , top up the reservoir with fluid , get into the car and pump the pedal 5 to 7 times .. get out , close the bleeder and remove the hose and repeat on other wheels until done .

This way , it can't suck any air into the system (cos the other end of the tube is immersed into the fluid inside the bottle).. so by one man job , can pump as much as you want !

Damir B)

I disagree that there is no chance of getting air in the system with this method...

The pipe is still going to be full of air, and when you're pumping up and down you stand a chance of the air returning into the caliper?? I do see where the theory is coming from none the less!!

Thanks for all your input though, keep em coming :)

DamirGTI

Nope , it will not .. done loads of cars by this method (brakes and hydraulic clutch's) , no complain what so ever on brake pedal feel or stopping power ... clutch systems as well , all good :)

Im kinda unable to buy spec. tools over here (if i do find what i need it's usually bloody expensive) , so im used to work with DIY tools or what ever i have at my hand .. basically it's allays a cheap DIY copy of fancy tool in the box from the tool factory !

Damir B)

BlueBolt

Kewl, sounds good then.

What's the need for the old fluid in the bottom of the bottle then??

(Sorry if that's a silly question!!)

DamirGTI

So that it doesn't suck air when you release the pedal while pumping ! ..

Oil stays down air goes up remember ? :)

Make one bottle and do the job on one wheel as a test with someone to help you out pumping the pedal while you're looking at the bottle , and you'll see that it wont draw air back into the caliper ..

Damir B)

pug_ham

I personally find that it doesn't always seal very well on some 205 reservoirs (seems fine on 306 and 406 ones though) and if you use the kit as it is supposed to be used, any leaks (let alone it popping off completely, which I've had) will spray brake fluid everywhere which isn't fun.

What I tend to do is remove the bottle part completely, fill the reservoir, and then plumb the airline straight onto the reservoir to push the fluid through. You'll need to disconect it occasionally to top the fluid up if you're doing the whole system, but it's much safer doing it that way.

It wouldn't be hardy to fabricate one yourself using a spare reservoir cap from a 306/406, an appropriate fitting in the top, and the hose from an old footpump.

I've not tried the vacuum type Graham mentioned, but it sounds like a good idea and should eleminate the issues with the pressure types.

I had the cap pop off once & I tried making a good fitting cap before using an old 205 cap but couldn't get it to seal around the pipe union through the cap so ever since them I've held it in place with a cable tie but I'll be fitting as 306 style reservoir soon so that should fix this issue.

I haven't tried the vacuum style kits either but would like to see how they fair as a possible replacement for my ageing Eezibleed.

g

dogboy1066

I used my Eezibleed today for the first time, it popped off once which was annoying, but i modified it (removed a rubber washer so more thread was available on the resevoir cap, then used PTFE on the threads to help provide a seal) and it was fine afterwards.

I'm pretty confident the system is now clear of s*it and there is no air; i've got nice firm pedal!

BlueBolt

PTFE??

I have a feeling I'm going to kick myself for asking that...

omega

its plumbers tape

you wrap it round the threads amd it stops leaks

BlueBolt

Gotcha!!

Will make sure I have some to hand once I buy mine later in the week

BlueBolt

Got my Eezibleed through this morning. After a quick play with it just to see how it works etc I'm very impressed!!

Now I need to buy some more fluid and change all mine!! Then no doubt the mrs will want hers done, but none the less, excellent piece of kit!! :)

welshpug

Quite likely your better alf's car will need doing too, seems to be the thing that gets missed and most dont notice at all.

• Like 1

pug_ham

Quite likely your better alf's car will need doing too, seems to be the thing that gets missed and most dont notice at all.

I agree, of all the routine items that should be done periodically, brake fluid & coolant are the items most likely to be missed.

g

BlueBolt

Coolant was done on a pre winter check, the brake fluid will be done after the weekend when I've earned some cash :)

Mine has to wait till I get paid and buy the fluid I normally put in :(

Edited by BlueBolt

kee

Just a quick bump, after reading this I opted for the eezibleed and using the cap supplied with some PTFE tape and a cable tie for security, the brakes are now bled and how easy it was.

also, if anybody wants to flare brake pipes, get one of these :)

IMAG0414_zps8160eb25.jpg