• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tpghites

Need Help Mi16 2.0 Missfire Over 3000 Rpm

tpghites

Hy guys i need your help.

I'm very close to go completely insane.

So the car was parked for about a month in front of the house. It started perfectly no problem with idle and went to the shop to install the Supersprint exhaust system I both for it. First time I tried to go over 3000 rpm the engine started to misfire smoke and cut off. After the new exhaust was mounted the problem is the same but with the engine temp til 70 degrees 3000 rpm and with the engine hot 4000 rpm. The small boost of power you usually feels at around 4000-4500 rpm is gone and the sensation is that is loosing power. The strange part is that this happens in every gear from first to fifth

Everything seems ok but it doesn't work

Fuel pump is changed last year

Spark plugs BERU with 4 electrodes changed also last year and are looking fine

Ignition coil are all new also BERU changed last year

Fuel Filter new

Timing set also last year

So in conclusion please help me before I go completely crazy

ORB

I would check timing first and then change the plugs

Samson1886

It happened to my ZX before. initally the car loss power & hesitant to accelerate & misfire. It feels like kangarooing. Then it stall and cannot be started at all. Checked all sort of possible root cause. Ignition coil & module, fuel pump, plugs, and also check if there are current. Finally I found my petrol tank has water inside.

So need to clean up the petrol tank and everything back to normal. No more power loss.

You may want to check on this as well.

Thanks!

tpghites

ORB, the timing and the spark plug was changed in September, the timing with Peugeot OEM and it's got aroun 3k km. Samson I forgot to mention, I tried that too, pump out of the tank 20 liters and putted a fresh 15 liters, still the same

Edited by tpghites

petert

If this is a 2L Mi16 with coil on plug setup, it's probably one of the four coils. And if so, how could you possibly set the timing?

calvinhorse

Try swapping the ignition amps over (don't ask just try it )

Decent fuel aswell, mine always fk'd up when using cheap fuel

tpghites

Tried the coil swap this morning, still nothing, what do you mean by how was it possible to set the timing?

Calvin the fuel is not cheap:) no fuel is cheap but never the less it's got 99 unleaded. My best guess is is something electric but I can't put my finger on it

ORB

I think Peter was Questioning me regarding the timing, because it is (likely) a multi coil engine, you cant set the ignition timing as this is handled by the ecu (crank sensor etc)

But, what I was refering to, was valve timing, has it slipped a tooth on the belt?

Can you still stick a pin in each timing hole?

Also, I have seen spark plugs fail from new, let a lone after some use! - do not rule things out just because you have changed them last year!

tpghites

thanks ORB, the timing belt is fine I already checked it. I will change the spark plug and see what happends

Samson1886

What about the battery status? Also the grounding (earthing) point? Is it enough ground and secure properly?

welshpug

Check the map sensor pipe.

tpghites

Changed the sparkplugs still the same, also checked the battery and main ground point.The main ground cable was changed by me with a 0AWG 50mm^2 because the old one was pretty corroded and in cables I like a little bit overkill. I checked the map pipe and seems ok, however I will order a silicone one tomorrow just to be sure since from rubber went to plastic do to old age

DamirGTI

Spark plugs BERU with 4 electrodes changed also last year and are looking fine

Think you might find that this engines don't quite like spark plugs other than Eyquem and NGK ... and with single electrode .

It may or not be the issue but id try different plugs .. and see what happens .

Damir B)

kyepan

i've been meaning to reply to this.
From a purely logical perspective why are we replacing, or suggesting replacement of all these components that would not be affected by time spent standing.

The most likely thing that has happened since it's been standing is moisture has gotten into the ignition components. Firstly take it all off, dry them, clean any oil off them and try again. This would include, leads, plug wells, coil (s) ignition amp low voltage wiring, connector, high voltate wiring, crank position sensor wiring... etc etc. a squirt of wd40 here and there may not hurt. Also check for corrosion on all the connections and clean them up if necessary.

The only other possibility is that because of the cold, some rubber may have perished on the ignition components causing discharge.

The fact it misfires at higher revs would suggest against an air leak.

If none of that checks out, i'm inclined to agree on draining the petrol tank and put some fresh in, or if there is not much in there, drive it round until nearly empty at low revs and put some fresh in.

Cheers

J

Tom Fenton

I have found Mi's to be fussy on plugs before. I would put equivalent to OE back and try that before anything else.

205turbo

my 306 s16 did this, on mine i turned out to be one side of the diaphragm had failed only open up on one side causing a misfire,

try and unplug both and block them off and try it to see if it gets better

14791_10151435511620908_275065850_n.jpg

petert

Suck on the diaphragms individually to make sure they're not broken.

tpghites

So, it's time for an update.

First of all the strange part is that before I started working on the car it got better by it self. The cut-off now is at 4500-5000 rpm. Changed all the vacuum hoses and as 205turbo suspected one of the diaphragms is broken, pierced. I blocked the vacuum hose going to it and the diaphragm also blocked it at somewhere about 20-30% open. The result is almost a perfect idle and the smell from the emission is better (previously was a little rich in fuel) Tomorrow I'll take for a test drive and see how it's working

tpghites

Time for the last update.

Yesterday I changed the diaphragm and the car is running better than ever. Finally the Superprint exhaust is working as it should. I can't wait to put the exhaust manifold on also

Jemehan

Thanks for putting this up, I have the same issue with my S16 and spent lots replacing sensors and all sorts, I will now try the Diaphrams... if i can get hold of any, Can i ask, where did you get yours?

Gibbo GTI

my 306 s16 did this, on mine i turned out to be one side of the diaphragm had failed only open up on one side causing a misfire,

try and unplug both and block them off and try it to see if it gets better

14791_10151435511620908_275065850_n.jpg

Oooh, that's a pic of my engine bay :)

Jemehan

Its neater than mine!! And I have taken the pipes off and sucked, both diaphrams still work, its not those, I wish it was that simple though!

tommo1

Ive just bought one with a missfire in the lower revs so will have all this to come to.

It starts great ticks over really well but going through the gears steadily it holds back and missfires until you hit the 4000 mark. then it seems fine.

It can be fine one minute but bad the next.

Jemehan

Same as me matey. Put new thicker earth cable on today. Made no difference.... I've chaned loads... Odd, didn't have this issue when I bought the car. Save you wasting money, I've changed pump, filter, plugs, coils, throttle body, sensors, icv lambda... Nothing better yet... Ill keep updating the more I test...

tommo1

cheers mate, Im gonna try plugs empty the tank then give it to my mechanic.

Some of my mates may know someone with same motor hopefully who will help me out let me swap bits over trying things out to save a bit coin.

If you drive it really steady its fine and if you drive it aggressively its fine but inbetween it doesnt like it.