• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamie_1992

Xs/ Vts Gearbox Options

jamie_1992

I've just got hold of a saxo vts for £400 and going to take the engine out and put it in my xs

What gearbox would be the best as I'm after something that is similar to the xs gear box but think that the actual xs may be a bit weak for the new engine

Also can I unlock the ecu by disconnection it while its running like the gti6 engines

calvinhorse

I know there is a lot of talk of using 1.3 Rallye box' at the minute but in my own experience and it was common knowledge a few years back, a standard 16v will kill 2nd gear within weeks.

What are the 1.4 furio (saxo) boxes like? I always liked mine as I remember?

ORB

My old VTS went through 5 new boxes in 4 years!

jamie_1992

so use the standard box you recon?

calvinhorse

No.

I'd check out furio and xsi boxes.

c_robinson

The weakness lies with the box but is exploited by the driver. The boxes can be made to live a normal life. I've done 5 rallies and endless miles in a s1 rallye stage car and never had a gearbox problem.

All MA boxes (106/saxo) suffer the same problem but it's as much driver induced than anything.

BE4R from various citroens is the way to go, but not a cheap alternative

Tandoh

A 205 xs box won't fit as the bell housing is different. I run a 106 1.1 box and its not too bad. S1 Rallye boxes are like hens, so you do pay the premium for it...iirc somewhere around £150.

Disconnecting the ecu whilst the engine is running will successfully unlock it :)

jamie_1992

A 205 xs box won't fit as the bell housing is different. I run a 106 1.1 box and its not too bad. S1 Rallye boxes are like hens, so you do pay the premium for it...iirc somewhere around £150.

Disconnecting the ecu whilst the engine is running will successfully unlock it :)

do you run that 1.1 box on a road car am i right in thinking the 1.1 and 1.4 box are the same

what car would you find a be4r in

are the vtr and vts boxs the same?

(i know lots of questions but i never really played around with gearbox and not sure what boxs are in what cars lol)

calvinhorse

A 205 xs box won't fit as the bell housing is different

I've found this also but it's not all of them, just very early Tu xs boxes. My G-regs both had the standard bell housing but my F--reg was a different bell housing.

Lowercase

check out AT speed racings 106 turbo. i remember reading that they went through loads of boxes and in the end settled on a citroen berlingo box or something like that as its stronger.

Tandoh

I used to use mine on the road with the 1.1 106 box. It was ok, as 2nd 3rd and 4th were all short, only slightly longer then a s2 Rallye box, and 5 was longer than the s2 Rallye box.

Vts/gti and vtr boxes are different. Vtr box is the longest box avalible, and the gti/vts box is a bit shorter I believe.

There is a gearbox guide on 106 moaners club that identifies the ratios.

Hope that helps!

calvinhorse

Which boxes had the weak diffs?

welshpug

Any non sport box.

• Like 1

jamie_1992

could i use a standard vts clutch with a 106 1.1 gearbox

and i asume i can use 205 drive shafts

jamie_1992

been looking and i read that the s1 rally boxs are the same as a vts box apart from the final drive i have found a s1 box that has no sencond gear could i put the final drive from the s1 in the vts box

welshpug

if its a sport box then it will be the same gear ratio's just varying FD's, as all sport ratios are the same, though a VTR is an exception to the rule, being non sport ratios.

jamie_1992

good thats what i wanted to know

going to have a go at rebuilding a gearbox then

any advice?

c_robinson

there's a comprehensive guide on 106 rallye although you may need to be a paid member

jamie_1992

will my 205 xs gearbox be upto the job or is it too weak for the engine?