• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Willem_Jacobs

Exchanging Injection Tab On S16 Inlet-Cams

Willem_Jacobs

Hello everybody,

Geoff Clements (jorg) is offering a Stage one PeterT inlet cam for a S16 engine... But it's missing the injection timing tab... Since i have a 205 running a standard citroen ZX 16V engine (similar to the 306/405 ones) i would like to upgrade it to take this cam (should be a straight fit)

DSC_1128.jpg

Can the tab be exchanged between cams?
How to set the 'timing' / 'position' to the tab?

Can this be done by someone with some experience of rebuilding engines?

(I've done a rebuild of a S16 head and a complete TU5J2 engine)

Would like to give this some more power:
DSC_1218.jpg
DSC_1263.jpg
DSC_1265.jpg

> i know the 'dip' shouldn't be there, but this has been overcome as i later discovered the valves on the ACAV system were not closing completely as the rod ends on the vacuum diaphragms were not set to the correct length

welshpug

Mark its position relating to the lobe next to it, then press it off :)

Might need top heat it as well, but I;ve not tried to remove one, PeterT would be best to ask.

Willem_Jacobs

Seems to be in the exact position of the number 3 cylinder lobes (counting distr > flywheel) i'm just wondering if it can be done, using just simple tools...

welshpug

Depends what you call simple tools...

Willem_Jacobs

got pretty much all the tools for a engine rebuild available, it's just the bearing regrind stuff i don't have the tools for. I managed to install the piston pen on a TU5 engine for example... (needs to be heated / cooled to remove / install)

petert

It's a heavy press fit. I have got them off in situ with a modified 3 leg puller, but ideally you'll need a 10T press. The exact position isn't critical.

Edited by petert

Willem_Jacobs

Think i can source someone with a press that will do the job....

Peter,

Can i use the standard S16 pulley or will i need a number 3 or 4 pulley for installation on a regular XU10J4 engine?

petert

Either a #3 or #2 with an offset key.

Willem_Jacobs

A # 2 fitted with an offset key or a standard # 3 one that is??

A friend has a stage one inlet cam fitted but his engine turns out to be having problems on idling.... Any more info on that??? He has it fitted with a # 4 pulley tho.. That might explain the problems there...

And this offset key, got more info as to where i might get one, or specs (so I can have someone machine one for me?) ??

Edited by Willem_Jacobs

petert

http://www.taylor-eng.com/images/head/cam_key_instructions.pdf

My key advances 1.5 deg cam (or 3 deg crank). PM me to work out cost/postage.

A #4 pulley would advance it too far but not enough to cause significant idling problems. To be precise, it needs to be set at 0.065" lift @TDC, which equates to 109 deg lobe centreline.

A #2 plus key would move it from 114 to 111 deg. However, as all Stage 1 cams are advanced 1 deg during the grinding process, it will actually be 110 deg LCL.

Willem_Jacobs

So it's either a offset key or a #3 pulley then... with a small benefit for the #3 item... let me try and source one of those first....

petert

That's how I have the S16 engine setup in my 405 daily driver. It works well, with a very broad power band. Your country had DFW's so there should be plenty of #3 pulleys around.

I think you mean the tang is lined up with the lobes of cylinder number 2.

post-2864-0-63002100-1359167024_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-96616100-1359167270_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

Willem_Jacobs

yeah, you're right, i made the classic mistake there, starting to count at pulley.... :blink:

So it's the 148 bhp rated engine that should have #3 ones fitted???
I assumed it was later 160 bhp ones that had #3 ones and the 148 bhp rated that had the #4 inlet....

I'm confused now....

Edited by Willem_Jacobs

Willem_Jacobs

damn, i really should sleep some more.... i somehow misread the table on your site... :unsure:

Peter; Do you happen to have a pic of a #3 pulley (marks stamped in it) around on the web... i want to source one as fast as possible and since my parts are nowhere near where i am right now it's difficult for me to explain where the marks should be on the pulley....

Edited by Willem_Jacobs

petert

Best I could do at short notice.

post-2864-0-02003600-1359179359_thumb.jpg