• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NFS

Xu10 J2Te Gearbox Choices

NFS

Hi, i will need a gearbox soon for my converted 205 and have been told that most petrol boxes are to short of a ratio for this engine as its rather torquey and needs longer ratio's.

so what gearboxes have been used and what can be recommended to me cheers :)

Tesstuff

Seriously, this subject again?

This discussion happens once a week at least.

• Like 1

NFS

Cheers. Well I have looked and searched the forum. Maybe you could point me in the direction of a thread that hold the information I require rather than trolling as that's not what forums are for.

custard-rallye

Look in the what gearbox One mate I started it as my 8v just killed its box

Anthony

Cheers. Well I have looked and searched the forum. Maybe you could point me in the direction of a thread that hold the information I require rather than trolling as that's not what forums are for.

Search this site using Google and you'll find plenty of information.

Here's one I prepared earlier by searching for 205 turbo gearbox

To make Google search this site, add site:forum.205gtidrivers.com after your search words.

The issue isn't that the engine is "torquey" but more that it just doesn't rev, in a manner more akin to a diesel, and hence short gearing that suits a revvy engine just doesn't work. General opinion is a 1.9 GTi gearbox for something comparitively short, or a diesel/TD box for something longer legged.

Heavily tuned examples are pushing what a BE box will cope with.

custard-rallye

Can you rev them higher sorry off topic but just wandered

NFS

So for example a 306 td box fit okay? Handle the power? And what clutch, flywheel? Thanks

Anthony

Can you rev them higher sorry off topic but just wandered

They were designed like that as it suited the exec barges they were originally fitted to, hence the small turbo, mild cam, etc, giving good low speed pickup with minimum lag, and compatible with a slushbox.

Obviously with modification and a suitable injection of cash they can be made rather more interesting and there's quite a few out there with big outputs, particularly in the Netherlands, but in standard form I just find them frustrating and completely out of character for a GTi. Others may think differently, and I freely admit that I'm very much on the NA side of the fence.

So for example a 306 td box fit okay? Handle the power? And what clutch, flywheel? Thanks

You heard the saying "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a year"?

You see I explained above how to do a search? That's metaphorically teaching you to fish. Now's a good time to put that into practice :)

• Like 3

custard-rallye

Ha ha ha that's brilliant ^^^^^^

NFS

Lol cheers guys

Btw gone fishing

• Like 2

welshpug

but just wandered

across the road with your massive torques?

custard-rallye

Yeah ha across the road and down the valley Boyo

Edited by custard-rallye

Henry Yorke

A bit of ground bait to assist your fishing. I run an Mi16 box with a 1.9 final drive. 3200 @ 70mph in 5th. 1.9 gears in 1st to 3rd. Longer 4th and 5th. Cruises nicely. However it depends what characteristics you want from the car. Gearbox calculator is your friend!

petert

Why not just buy an XU10JTE original gearbox? Sure, you will need some driveshaft & shifter mods, but it will out last any BE1/BE3/BE4 gearbox.

And that other dude who blew up his gearbox on day 1, you should buy an ME/ML box as well. As fitted to V6, T16 and other turbos.

custard-rallye

I'm tempted peter but I would need to buy another diff so a be box will have to do for the time being also wouldnt the cost of shafts ect and LSD be not far off a quaife gearset

welshpug

A quaife gearset wont help.

custard-rallye

Ok