• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Power Loss

amusingadam

Looking for an idea of where to start, I have an issue with what can only be described as power loss, if traveling along at any speed and go to put load on the engine (30mph 4th gear) I have no power the engine is running revs are fine but the accelerator does nothing I can move it up and down by foot then a few seconds later it all kicks in a takes your head off its almost like the car has gone into limp mode for a few seconds of course I no a 205 don’t have such a thing.
The car is not misfiring as I’m sure you would still have throttle response even if it were firing on 3.
The engine is a 1.9 8v 1987 no mods apart from air filter and 4 branch.
Thanks guys

DamirGTI

Check ignition timing .. advance the dizzy a little bit and then try if it's any better .

Damir B)

Tom Fenton

Classic knackered air flow meter symptoms from my own previous experience.

AlexRS2782

Another vote for the AFM here. I had this problem on mine in my 1st year of ownership and i replaced the AFM for a used known working one and it cleared the problem :)

Edited by AlexRS2782

amusingadam

disconected the air flow meter just to have a look and now the car is a non start im guessing this has proven the point ??????

j_turnell

The car wont start with the AFM plug disconnected, worth checking the wires to the afm and the condition of the plug. If you do replace the afm, make sure you get the CO setup properly as its different for every engine.

amusingadam

the afm plug is on managed to get it started in a fashion but its firing on what sounds like 3 wont tick over clears when you rev it pass 4k but just wont run then you end up flooding it ????

DamirGTI

Take a small knife , cut the seal around and pop up the AFM black cover off ... now inspect the black carbon track on the plate - any severe scratching , and particularly overlay wiped white areas/spots . That would be a sign of a worn out AFM .

Id still try advancing the dizzy a few deg. , sounds more to me like hesitation problem ... something ignition based , but do try a known good spare AFM .

Compression test would be good also , just to see if the firing on 3 cylinders has something with the engine internals .

Damir

Alan77

Oil / moisture inside the dizzy cap can cause these ignition symptoms as well. Check the cap and rotor arm...

billybluesky

I had a problem similar it turned out to be the AFM meter plug pushing against the bonnet it wouldn`t run above 1500rpm i put the screws back in the bracket and no more problem