• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cybernck

Cutting And Welding Chassis Legs

cybernck

Would cutting and welding chassis legs at the point where they leave floor/bulkhead joint be strong enough

if done properly (as opposed as going all the way back under the front seats and replacing complete legs)?

Photo taken from shooter mcgavin's works topic, for a clear view of chassis legs:

49c7c4e5d73ccd5bbe051df3841e18a4.jpg

Thanks.

M@tt

you want Paul (Deathbringer) for this one, he's an accident repair assessor, they do this stuff all the time and i'm sure i read somewhere there is a template they can use to cut and weld on part of a new chassis leg just as you are describing.

I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine

welshpug

Depends how much of the chassis leg needs replacing, got some Peugeot data here I need to get scanned in that shows the replacement of half the chassis leg.

Emmy Seize

The original Peugeot manual suggests to cut and mig-weld approximately 5cm in front of the bulkhead.

I think the chassis leg is double skinned there so it is a good idea to only cut the outer skin with an angle grinder and leave the inner part in place.

This both helps strength and accuracy (especially if you don't happen to have a jig).

cybernck

OK. So, providing the floorpan looks fine, I wouldn't exactly need to replace the whole section (photos courtesy of M@tt):

2012-11-042012-11-04001001.jpg

2012-11-042012-11-04001004.jpg

As a side-question, if there's a gap above the door (happens to most 205's that have suffered an impact), what section is most likely to be out of alignment?