• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Madeleine

Not Starting

Madeleine

Hello!

I am having problems with my 87 205 gti starting. :(

It has seemed to be a random issue before but now seems consistent. What is happening is I turn the key to accessory and all regular lights come on, then turn the key, hear a click and the power goes dead. No turn over, and no more power from the battery. In order to get power back on again I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

I was having issues with it doing that a bit, and the last time it started I heard a loud pop from underneath the car. I do not know if it is related to the issue though.

Any thoughts what may be? Starter perhaps? Distributor? Both have me confused why it would kill all power though.

dcc

common fault with the starter exciter wire. have a search.

DamirGTI

Ditto , id check the wiring and clean up the terminals on the starter solenoid (common problem) , check the main positive cable which goes from the battery onto the starter and earth from the battery on the gearbox , and see what happens ..

Take some kind of drift and knock a few times on the starter solenoid , then try cranking .. if it starts , it's bad starter solenoid or whole unit ..

Also , usually overlooked simple fix - clean battery clamps and terminals can sometimes do wonders for electrics ... if you have poor contact on the battery with oxidized cables clamps terminals whole system will go mad ! particularly on new cars with lots of components ..

Damir B)

Adrian247

As above, but probably best to just change the starter motor, as it will continue to give trouble.

dcc

I don't agree with that Adrian. Why would the WIRING to the starter motor, cause the starter to continue giving problems once resolved?

Simes

As above, but probably best to just change the starter motor, as it will continue to give trouble.

That won't cure the earth or starter terminal which is often corroded and causes the problem.

If the solenoid has gone then yes, but start with the cheap fixes

Adrian247

I dont disagree with what either of you say, in fact I agreed with the posts above, maybe my english is a bit poor. I have had a similar problem with mine sometime ago where we cleaned the terminals, replaced the earth lead and even replaced the power lead from the battery to the starter along with the exciter lead even took the solenoid off and re soldered the exciter wire and still the same problem, changed the starter, no problem since. I could be misunderstanding the problem too.

rallysteve

Check the battery termimals are tight too!

Madeleine

Thank you all for advice. :) will try those suggestions.