• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

306 Gti 6 Lowered Suspension

DanRM

Just bought a 306 gti 6 as a second car for when my 205 will be off the road days at a time. Managed to get it cheap for £500. With only the front discs and n/s ball joint that needs doing. And i'm going to put the exhaust back box back to standard (god knows how he drove around with that) and rise the height.

I'm not a fan at how much the car is lowered so I'm looking to put it back up to standard height, how would I do this on the back as lowering has never interested me so I never looked into how it's done, I assume that the front will be changed to original struts again but how is the back lowered?

Thanks

jord294

if your handy with the spanners give it a go yourself. same set up as 205/309.

probably a couple of guys local to you who could do the job for you. or if you fancy a trip upto north wales, i could do it for you

welshpug

near identical to a 205 on the rear, 330mm between damper bolt holes at rest for standard ride height.

however beware that most lowered 306 beams I have come across have been totally knackered and not worth messing with other than to retrieve the torsion bars!

DanRM

Ahh ok thanks, I'll have a look when the snow shifts and I can get it over the pit and sort that ball joint out too. Also with the exhaust tail pipe and air filter box is there any other 306 models that have the same units?

jord294

iirc, 306 xsi 2litre has same backbox, but i think the air box is gti6/rallye only,

if you need bits, then you could try over on the 306 gti6 forum.

DanRM

Bringing this back up, how much would I be looking to pay to get a garage to lift the car up? It's just so low, I have to raise the car up on the pit jack a little to get another jack under the sill, to raise the car so I can put the adaptors on the pit jack, otherwise it fully extends before the wheels get off the ground. It even grinds on the snow left in the middle of the road (about 4" high)

With the Mot coming up in 3 weeks, I'm thinking of just taking it down to a garage and get them to sort it out, along with a horrible shake driving at 60+ down the left hand side and a knocking noise from the n/s/f. Main reason in getting a garage to do it is that then I will have the peace of mind knowing that the car should be safe after all the bodges I've uncovered so far.

Cheers

minimaniacwhyard

Raising its an easy job as the torsion bars will have already been out to lower it. Theres plently of guides on here thats how i lowerd mine and found it easy. U could always make a dummy

Shock at with 330 mm between the holes to

Make you life easy as well.

DanRM

How would the front of been lowered, and how would I reverse this? Sorry I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to lowering cars as it's never interested me

Cheers

minimaniacwhyard

Would either be on springs or coilivers. Get a picture up o the front spring and we will tell you. Again an easy

Job with spring comporesers of course this involves money

Buying the springs needed

Miles

Unless your lucky and who ever lowered it used grease you'll be lucky to get it apart, A Garage will little or no knowledge of beams which 98% do not I doubt would take the work on as it's not x hours = x ££ unlike service work which most like.

As said most 306 beams need bearings and shafts so you could be looking at a huge bill

CosKev

Bringing this back up, how much would I be looking to pay to get a garage to lift the car up? It's just so low, I have to raise the car up on the pit jack a little to get another jack under the sill, to raise the car so I can put the adaptors on the pit jack, otherwise it fully extends before the wheels get off the ground. It even grinds on the snow left in the middle of the road (about 4" high)

With the Mot coming up in 3 weeks, I'm thinking of just taking it down to a garage and get them to sort it out, along with a horrible shake driving at 60+ down the left hand side and a knocking noise from the n/s/f. Main reason in getting a garage to do it is that then I will have the peace of mind knowing that the car should be safe after all the bodges I've uncovered so far.

Cheers

Take it upto Andy(jord294) ;)

Hes only just the other side of Wrexham,so not far to travel and he will have way more experience/knowledge on the beam and what it needs than any garage you will find locally guaranteed :)

marksorrento205

I should have a pair of o.e dampers and springs of my 306 rallye. Can't see me going back from Billies and Eibachs some how :D

Edited by marksorrento205

DanRM

I think I might give it ago myself in the next couple of weeks. I've started reading through various threads and guides here and over on the 306 forum. So I'll see how that goes for me. It's more confidence not to bugger things up big time haha

Jord294, was it your thread I remember reading offering the beam refurb on either here or the 306 forum? If so I may give you a message soon as I'd like my 205 one done properly when this car is sorted for a while. That's if you'd be interested

Cheers for the offer Mark but I managed to get the local scrappy to hold on to a pair for a couple of weeks

Edited by DanRM

jord294

Yes mate it was me.

If your interested in getting me to do either your 306 or 205, just give me a shout.

Cheers

DanRM

Yes mate it was me.

If your interested in getting me to do either your 306 or 205, just give me a shout.

Cheers

Ah brilliant, will do as soon as I can, currently trying to get my old job back after blowing my 205 savings in Oz for a month, regretting that now haha