• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

Be4 (306 2.0 Hdi) Box Into 1.9 Xud 205

pug_ham

As above, you aren't taking the box apart exactly, just unboting the diff casing & spedo drive housing to change one part.

This article covers what you need to know & how to do it but it is all external from the main gearset & imo you can't get it wrong as the diff will only fit one way.

Don't forget to swap the crownwheel over from the old to new diff though or this will give you a problem.

g

calvinhorse

I'm not sure if it's the same but..

I'm putting a 306 Dturbo engine and box in my 205, I was told to swap the diff for a gti one.

Examining the diffs the gti diff is a much thinner casting and the actual teeth on the diesel diff are wider and more robust looking.

Myself, deathbringer Paul and Allanallen, well mainly Paul and Allan, decided to stick with the diesel diff and use a 306 inner CV joint.

allye

306 diesel diff and 205 crown wheel so you can use 205 drive shafts without faffing about with changing CV's.

calvinhorse

That's wrong allye

Taking the diff out is a bit of a faff compared to undoing one clip on a cv

calvinhorse

306 diff won't work with 205 shafts

calvinhorse

Oh 205 derv diff?

welshpug

205 derv you need, or any 205 be box, or a non turbo 306, as that's different to the turbo.

no more of a faff if you havent got the engine in yet.

calvinhorse

One clip

Or

11 bolts and sealing on the cover

I'd rather change the cv

welshpug

Its more than one clip, you should change the tripod bit too, think of all that yukky cv grease.

I'd rather change the diff and know I can get a driveshaft anywhere without f***ing about with cv boots.

calvinhorse

12 bolts actually, one holding the speedo drive in ;)

allye

I'm with welshpug on this, change the diff then replacement shafts will never be a problem to replace, for you or the next owner!

calvinhorse

So you're saying the strength of the diff isn't important? Peugeot designed them different for no reason?

welshpug

in a diesel 205, no.

calvinhorse

Why?

allanallen

The way I saw it when I looked at it was the diff casing was a lot more substantial, the cross pins looked a larger diameter although this could of been an optical illusion and I didn't have anything to measure them with. The crownwheel bolted on the opposite side to the gti diff so you'd need to flip it the other way around ie; run it the opposite way to how it was previously fitted. This was the thing that put me off, from past experiences flipping worn gears isn't always a good idea.

Cal, the chances of you wearing a set of shafts out before you either sell the car or put a different engine in are slim to not bloody likely. Im sure I've got an inner cv so just fit that and be done with it. Even if you did need to replace the shaft it's no great hardship getting hold of a inner cv is it really?!

calvinhorse

That's exactly what I plan to do!

Welshpugs got me a bit worried about this 'yukky' cv grease tho, hope I don't get it on my knickers

• Like 1

allye

Having the crown wheel the other way round is how its done with the VTS / 205 setup as you can see in that photo, don't think any one has reported any issues with that yet? I can't see any problem is the diff was smaller or less strong as many run 205 diffs with high power set up.

Just my opinion though, I think its less of a short cut and a more 'proper job'!

calvinhorse

We will have to agree to disagree allye!

You will have to get over your fear of driveshafts tho allye,your V6 309 ones ain't off the shelf :D

:P

allye

Haha! Touche sir, I have plans for those don't worry.

• Like 1

FireFly

Well I've managed to get the gearbox etc out of the donor 306 so now I've just got to find someone to lend me a hand fitting it to the 205.

I want to clean up the gearbox, is brake cleaner suitable along with a wire brush? Is it ok to then paint it with black or silver hammerite?

allanallen

IMO painting cast alloy is shootable offence! But I am an opinionated arsehole at the best of times! :P

• Like 2

welshpug

agreed :lol:

give it a hot wash and that's all it needs

:ph34r: