• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

Be4 (306 2.0 Hdi) Box Into 1.9 Xud 205

FireFly

Hello guys,

Looking into options of getting rid of the 1.8 gearbox as its dangerously short!

Would like to get a 306 HDi box in there but I'm not sure if there would be any fitment issues?

If I remember correctly you have to swap out part of it for the 1.8 / 1.9 box? Push/pull mechanism or something?

Size wise is the BE4 box the same size as the BE3 box? I'm hoping there won't be too many fitment issues.

Thanks.

welshpug

swap the selector arm that is secured by a pair of roll pins, fit the 205 mounting stud, modify the pedal and possibly pedal box to take a standard BE3 205 cable, use the standard 306 HDI clutch mechanism as its a normal push type arm.

fit the 205 diff.

FireFly

Thanks for that Mei, shame I don't understand. :blush:

pug_ham

Both hdi boxes I've had used the same clutch mech as a 205 & will bolt straight up to an XUD, afaik the mounting stud won't need changing.

Using a hdi clutch would also mean you need the hdi flywheel as they have a 228mm clutch plate.

But, you will need to either change or modify the selector arm & either diff or driveshaft ends at the gearbox as Mei mentions.

g

welshpug

306 mounting stud is larger and longer, will not fit into the 205 bush.

this car has a fresh 1.9 Mi clutch on a DT flywheel.

Uberderv

Not 100% sure the Hdi box has the hole for the rev counter sensor??? I also used the original clutch cable :-)

pug_ham

Not 100% sure the Hdi box has the hole for the rev counter sensor??? I also used the original clutch cable :-)

The hdi has a hole for the Crank position sensor but uses a different style of two pin cps over the more common three pin cps found on older pugs.

g

Anthony

Looking into options of getting rid of the 1.8 gearbox as its dangerously short!

Dangerously short? :blink:

I don't know the exact spec of engine that you're running, but assuming that it's a standard 1.9TD then I'm not convinced that a 306 HDi gearbox will be the best match to it - certainly it is liable to be frustrating, as the boost threshold on a 1.9TD is going to mean that you'll be dropping off boost in 5th on typical A-road traffic or congested motorway.

It's one thing working the gearbox when you're in the mood, but it's quite another if you're just trying to munch miles and get home after a long day.

On the various TD's that I've had (205, ZX, 306) I've always found the standard gearbox to match the engine characteristics quite well and I don't think you'd want any longer.

Paul_13

Ryanstdt favoured the HDI box on his 1.9TD engine. All about preference I suppose

FireFly

I've sorted a donor 1.9DT 306 out that I can take the fly, clutch, box etc (anything I want) off. Hoping it will have everything I need to swap over. Will be making a new thread regarding this now.

welshpug

you wont need the flywheel, its already got a 215mm DT item on there.

FireFly

Ok mate, am I right in thinking both the driveshafts will go into the 306 box without any problems? Should I remove the subframe to drop the box out and in?

Vili

The short drive shaft won't fit the 306 box. At least mine didn't. I had to use inner joint from 306 driveshaft to make it work.

FireFly

The short drive shaft won't fit the 306 box. At least mine didn't. I had to use inner joint from 306 driveshaft to make it work.

Can you expand on what you mean by you had to use the inner joint from the 306?

I don't understand, did you use the whole 306 driveshaft or just swap over part of it?

welshpug

just fit the 205 diff into the 306 box, 205 shafts then fit.

FireFly

Is there any information on swapping the diff anywhere? Perhaps you could explain in a bit more detail Mei, write it assuming I know nothing (which I don't) if you dont mind buddy.

welshpug

Remove speedo housing -3x 13mm bolts, note differing lengths, o-ring, might be a spacer shim.

Undo 6 diff cover bolts, 16+18mm iirc, lift off cover.

Remove diff+cwp.

Swap cwp to 205 diff, dont forget to keep matched bearings together.

Reverse process. Noting torque settings, new bolts on diff if req, advisable as its common for them to strip on removal.

• Like 1

allye

Reference the stripping bolts on the diff, its quite odd as the few i have done they have either all come out fine or stripped all of them, wierd! - but yes be prepared and have some on standby!

When putting it back together make you clean the faces of the diff housing and gearbox and use a decent bead of sealant all the way around otherwise it will piss oil out! I waded into changing the diff first time round having never done it and it is very easy. I also put new bearing on the diff.

• Like 1

Paul_13

Definitely get some diff bolts as Allye says, I stripped some pretty much brand new ones taking them out

Edited by Paul_13
  • Like 1

FireFly

So I need to get a torque wrench - what torque should they be?

I need the 6 diff cover bolts - Peugeot best place for them?

Sealant for applying around diff housing where it mates to gearbox - I have some black sealant (can't remember brand) that I've used on heater matrix pipes before, should be ok or does it need to be more heavy duty stuff?

Lastly can I use the clutch cable already in the 205 (manually adjusting type) or do i need to swap over to a 1.9 type? If so does this require modification of the pedal/anything?

Thank/liked your help posts, it's much appreciated.

dcc

If you're going to fit a be3 gearbox it will need to have a be3 cable, be3 pedal and be3 release bearing if your refitting a be1 gearbox then nothing needs changing :)

If you need any help or advice Trent, ring me any time and I'll talk you through it :)

calvinhorse

Which bolts are prone to sheering?

allye

Which bolts are prone to sheering?

Not sheering, just completely stripping the thread. Its the bolts that attach the crown wheel to the diff, I assume its so they strip rather than ruining the diff?

These puppies

P3021183-1-1.jpg

Edited by allye

FireFly

Please correct me if I'm wrong but are those two components of the same box or a comparison shot? Having not taken a gearbox apart yet I'm not too sure what to expect.

Cheers!

allye

Sorry to confuse, that a Xsara VTS 5 speed diff and a 205 GTI diff side by side, don't worry its not taking a gearbox apart just a casing on the side of the box. You don't go near the business side of the gearbox!