• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

Subaru Impreza Sump Plug

BlueBolt

Quick question for those of you who have a scooby...

I'm doing a service on one tomorrow afternoon (oil and filter only) but not sure what the sump plug is like... Do I need a hex or square key or is it a large spanner/socket job??

Have done a quick search online but I'm at work through till very late and not got the chance to check properly...

Any advise would be much appreciated thanks

dcc

My friends 2.0 non turbo was a square drive, but I know my neighbors old one had a hex drive, which you could get a big spanner onto. so *shrug*... sorry!

Paul_13

Read up about priming the engine of oil first before starting it.

I've heard many horror stories of the piston furthest away from the oil pump s*itting itself due to lack of oil on start up

BlueBolt

Same as you would if you replaced fuel lines?? I'll have a quick look later if I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up

Paul_13

www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1Y3XIUG_enGB517GB517&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&q=subaru+engine+blowing+up+after+oil+change

Just to inspire you with confidence

Edited by Paul_13

BlueBolt

I did a quick search last night about it and have seen the priming thing, not exactly difficult, just handy to know obviously.

Thanks for the advice!! :)

chipstick

When I did an oil change on the wifes classic Type RA I used nothing more than what resided in a Halfords 150 piece set, so it wouldn't have been anything special and I faintly remember it being a spanner affair. They may have changed through the years.

Normski

It was a normal hex drive on my car (STi type Ra), that's standard fitment. Don't worry about all the oil change scaremongers. Just do it like any other car but as the filter hangs vertically, fill it up with oil before you put it on (it takes a while to fill).

BlueBolt

It was a normal hex drive on my car (STi type Ra), that's standard fitment. Don't worry about all the oil change scaremongers. Just do it like any other car but as the filter hangs vertically, fill it up with oil before you put it on (it takes a while to fill).

Not worth priming the oil then??

I can't seem to work out how it manages to drain any more oil than standing stationary for a week would, in fact less than that as the engine will have been warm and oil hot recently...

I'll prime it (crank sensor off) a couple of times before I start just to be on the safe side. Not my car so rather not blow it up lol

Normski

When I first got my car I read all those threads and for the first couple of changes i did the whole priming thing (I didn't go as far as taking the spark plugs out though!!!), but as I got more into it, I could see it wasn't needed. There are loads of threads on scoobynet about it but the real guys on the forum who know what they're talking about don't do it. I remember one thread where someone asked the bossman of API Impreza how they do it and his reply was - just like any other car. They didn't even fill the filter.

It's not going to do any harm, so it's your own choice. You will record a fault in the ecu but that's not a problem.

Tom Fenton

I don't see the need to do anything over and above any other oil and filter change. Fill the new filter before fitting if practical. Isolate the ignition however you see fit, usually disconnecting the coil pack is easiest but depends on car. Crank engine on starter until the oil pressure light extinguishes. Reinstate ignition and start up as normal.

• Like 1

welshpug

The earlier EJ20's I have worked on the filter is tiiiny, and situated on the underneath of the block mounted vertically, so easy to fill up with out, but due to the tinyness it wont make much difference.

I believe the later ones are mounted the other way up on top of the engine block, so filling is not possible but makes it even more important to use a good quality unit to prevent draining.

BlueBolt

I spoke to the blokes at the Scoob garage when I went to get a sump nut washer, he said just drain and refill, so I did.

No warning lights on the dash after.

Running well and had warmed up before was moved to make sure nothing flashed up...

Answer to the original question was "a 17mm socket"

Thank you all for your assistance though :)

Edited by BlueBolt