• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gee76

205 Gti Rally Dashboard Mod

Gee76

I've bought a second dash as a winter project for my 205 rally car and have started to modify and lighten it to accept a new 3.5kw lightweight heater , a few switches and some flock. I'm only going to use the 2 windscreen de-mister vents, I've removed the vinyl covering the main section of the dash and started to chop out some of the plastic ducting on the underside so I can get access to the back of the vents and work out how to plumb up the new heater ducting.

T2eC16JysE9sy0hdGBQqT5KhF2g60_58_zps490e

There is a section I need to remove in the middle of the underside of the dash (circled below in the first 3 pics) that is preventing me from getting at all of the vent, I can see in my car that this section has a bolt going through it that is accessed from under the coin tray (pic 4). I could do with some help identifying this fixing point, I'm guessing it is a securing bolt, as there seems to be no other points in the centre section to fix the dash to the car, but having never removed a 205 dash I really have no idea what it fixes to.

205GTIRDM_01_zps32d4d879.jpg

205GTIRDM_02_zps9a887ef3.jpg

205GTIRDM_03_zpsb2dd3f39.jpg

205GTIRDM_04_zps352e8c95.jpg

Does anyone know what the bolt fixes to because if it's for fixing the centre of the dash then I may take more care removing it so it can be repaired, strengthened and refitted but it's my first time working on anything like this, so I might make a right mess learning how to plastic weld.

• Like 1

adman

it is for fixing the centre of the dash to the baulkhead

marksorrento205

As above :) It would be one of the three I would make sure it had, but thats me and if it was my car.

Edited by marksorrento205

c_robinson

as above, it's one of the 3 mounting points and you should see a stuf mounted to the bulkhead. I've done away with mine and am regretting it as i'll now have to make my own mounting points, or head to the scrappy and grab another dash :(

madmover

Slightly off topic, I don't suppose you know how much the original one weighs?

I'm trying to make mine lighter and the heater is going to be my next project...

Henry Yorke

Search for Brumsters dash build for his rally car as this was a good lightweight yet functional one.

Gee76

Thanks for the responses, I will try and keep that section in one piece and weld it back in place.

cybernck

Got any more photos of the dash with the cover stripped off?

Gee76

Here you go Cybernck, some photos of the dashboard with the vinyl removed.

The vinyl itself comes off very easily but reveals a brown residue, which looks to of been sprayed all over the dash, although after over 20 years or so the old adhesive is very dry. I tried cleaning a section with isopropyl alcohol and a green scotch-brite pad and with a bit more work it looks as if it will all clean up.

01_zps09f28371.jpg

03_zps46deebe2.jpg

04_zps5709a38c.jpg

05_zpsc11b6411.jpg

06_zpsd6656c6c.jpg

Some of the cracks drilled out to stop the them spreading on the main dash, ready to be cleaned, repaired and filled later on.

DSCN1279_zps1ccb1116.jpg

DSCN1300_zps211951cf.jpg

DSCN1308_zps4f763199.jpg

Edited by Gee76

cybernck

Thanks for the pics.

Mine is slightly damaged, so I'm thinking of re-covering it.

Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with yours as well.