• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Another Driveshaft Question

starky5

Sorry to bring this up again but im about to buy some new driveshafts as mine are shot, has anyone used SKF driveshafts? If so are they any good?

Thanks for any feedback on them!

205Rallee

Yes I've used them on a 205 I use for road and competition and they looked like quality new driveshafts, fitted perfectly and have taken loads of abuse. i got mine from a Geraman site called Mister Auto.

starky5

yea thats the site ive found them on and they have 35% off at the moment

ORB

How much are they for 1.9 shafts?

Can't be bothered to look as I'm ont' ipadphonepod thing at the moment....

starky5

£81 each but I got a pair including delivery for £113 with the current discount

timstemi16

Cheers for this, just ordered some 309 shaftsfrom the same place

Baz

That site doesn't list the correct lengths for shafts, might be a problem!

German site you say... :ph34r:

Edited by Baz

Anthony

Personally, given the complete crap and/or mis-boxed driveshafts that seem to be commonly supplied, I'm not sure I'd be wanting to mail order them at the moment given the headache of returning/exchanging them if there's a problem.

205Rallee

Have to say the shafts I ordered from them were perfect and arrived quickly. The returns procedure didn't look too complicated, think I paid an extra couple of quid to cover return postage just in case.

timstemi16

Just to add i received my driveshafts today from mister auto, they look good quality shafts and the delivery was fast.

The offside one is spot on in length compared to the one that came off, however the nearside shaft appears to be shorter than the one that it is meant to be replacing, About 10-15mm.

Im guessing that it is a 205 version and the reason for this is that people have sent 205 shafts in exchange for 309 versions over the years too avoid the surcharges from many reconditioners.

Have many people experienced this?

does anyone know the correct length of 205 and 309 gti shafts?

Thanks

Tim

Baz

Without looking again i don't remember if they're sold as a recon shaft??

309 GTi shafts are 850mm & 610mm.

205 1.9 GTi; 840mm & 600mm.

timstemi16

A further look reveals that both the "309 gti" shafts ive recieved from MISTER AUTO are infact both 205 gti items.There returns policy alos states that all original packaging must be intact and item sent back in a outer box to be eligible for a refund.

Problem being they sent them out in the original box wrapped in bubble wrap and the SKF box was in two pieces by the time it reached me!

Wont be ordering anything else from them!

Looks like they are going to have to go on ebay.

just to give anyone the heads up, dont order any 309 gti shafts online as Baz has already suggested.

chipstick

Well I'm glad I'm lazy and didn't get around to ordering a set from them.

The price was only a smidgen more than I had been quoted for an exchange set of AMK shafts, so I was tempted by the £110 outright price of those from mister auto, but I think I'll play it safe with the AMK's :)

Baz

But AMK's are crap. :ph34r:

ablister

But AMK's are crap. :ph34r:

...and you get to keep your old 'shafts and don't have to pay surcharges etc

chipstick

I thought AMK were a reputable brand going by what I had read on here.

...and you get to keep your old 'shafts and don't have to pay surcharges etc

If they don't send you 309 ones when you ask for them then I'd be no better off ordering from mister auto :lol:

welshpug

if you already have 309 shafts but they're tired, just use the bars in the new cups and CV's.

Baz

Pretty sure they've been a mixed bag IIRC? I'm sure that's what i fitted to a mate's car that didn't even last a few k!

chipstick

It's one of those things I suppose. I imagine there's an unhappy person out there with each brand.

When you hear people have bought cheapies and have had no problems it does make me think if you stick with one of the better ones you have slight piece of mind.

The AMK's were solely what a Unipart factors I visited stocked. I am tempted to pop to GSF and see what actual brands they can get in as the site doesn't state a particular one.

Edited by chipstick

timstemi16

if you already have 309 shafts but they're tired, just use the bars in the new cups and CV's.

Is this possible then, does the inner cup come apart easy enough?

I thought 309 gti and 205 gti 1.9 had different oute cv joints iirc.

Anthony

They should have the same outer CV's, although some aftermarket 'shafts come with the base model style outer CV design.

If it's the proper OE type setup, then it's pretty straight forward to do - tap the outer CV off with a mallet, and then (carefully) remove the inner and press/knockthe shaft from the tripod, making sure not to let it fall apart and scatter needles everywhere (hateful job putting them back together!). The shaft basically has splines either end, so it's not too difficult if you're careful.

chipstick

What are you preferred driveshaft brands Anthony from experience?

Anthony

GKN were always my prefered choice, but others have reported that they're not the quality they once were.

AMK seem to be fine, or at least, they're the best of a bad bunch from what I've seen.

Part of the issue is that supposed "reconditioned" driveshafts seem to be done to questionable tolerances with little or no checks done from what I can work out (otherwise how would you end up with a completely wrong shaft being sent out, when a basic check of length and splines would have highlighted it?) so it's down to pot luck in many ways whether you get one that's been done properly and is in tolerance, or whether you get one that's so bad it knocks and rattles out of the box (assuming it even fits at all).

That's why I said earlier that I would not want to mail order them, as it makes what is already a pain even more so - at least if you've bought locally you can check them over before leaving the shop to check it looks correct and feels OK, and if it does turn out to be wrong, you can take it back and easily get it sorted without extra cost or delay. It might cost a small amount more, but that's money well spent if you have problems.