• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

chipstick

Crown Wheel Bolts And Diff Housing Torque Settings

chipstick

Service box lists 2 different crown wheel bolts.

311959 @ 77p inc VAT ea

9800266980 @ £1.98 inc VAT ea

What's so different between the two that warrants that increase per unit?

What torque setting should they be fastened to?

Talking of torque. When refitting the diff housing, what torque should the 11 and 16mm bolts be done to, and the 3 speedo drive housing ones? Haynes lists various torques but none of those. When it comes to sealing, I didn't notice any sealent upon removal. Is that correct? If not, what should be used?

stef205

as for torques just do it tight, couldnt find anything on autodata either. I used some rtv sealant i got from travis perkins i used that on that box i had from you, it sealed it up well no leaks. Ill text you the name of it in the morning if you like.

JeffR

These were taken from the factory manual for the BE3/5 gearbox.

Sorry for the crappy image.

post-8655-0-21086700-1357626488_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffR

pug_ham

Its also in the haynes manual, chapter 6 transmission;

Crownwheel securing bolts; 65Nm / 48lbft.

Talking of torque. When refitting the diff housing, what torque should the 11 and 16mm bolts be done to, and the 3 speedo drive housing ones? Haynes lists various torques but none of those. When it comes to sealing, I didn't notice any sealent upon removal. Is that correct? If not, what should be used?

Also in haynes chapter 6;

Final drive half housing bolts, M10; 41Nm 30lbft

Final drive half housing bolts, M7; 12Nm 9lbft.

Speedometer pinion adaptor; 12Nm 9lbft

Final drive extention housing bolts ; 15nm 11lbft

Sealant shouldn't really be needed but I tend to put a thin bead of rtv on the mating faces.

g

chipstick

Thanks for those.

I've 3 different 205 Haynes manuals and the one I happened to check was the dark red late edition with A-P registration on the front.

The others I have, as you say list them all and go much more into transmission than the one I checked. I found 7 pages on manual gearboxes - the other editions I have now looked though have 36 pages :lol

That gives me the confidence to split down an old gearbox of a wet evening and learn how it all works :)

S@m

311959 is NFP, the longer, more expensive part (9800266980) replaced it. So you have no choice i'm afraid.

Plus, PSA's pricing usually doesn't reflect any actual difference in the parts, its has no logic whatsoever as far as i can tell. :lol:

Sam

Edited by Sam306

barneys66

Morning all - I finished my cwp swap yesterday and I had no torque settings so had to take a good (or should that be bad) guess..

My workshop is miles away and no mobile signal and I'm now sweating as according to the above I've over-tightened them all - should I go back and redo..?

Here's what I did, all in lbf.ft

Input and output shaft nuts - 70

Crownwheel - 70

Rear casing - 15

FD casing 10 - 40

FD casing 7 - 15

Speedo drive - 15

I know I'm an idiot but any advice welcome!