• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Compatability Of Early And Late Water Pumps On Xu9Ja

Grim.Badger

I bought a cambelt kit and water pump for my 1992 1.9 GTi a few months ago and, in a moment of what must have been sheer stupidity mistook the tensioner for the wrong kind, I got the later parts (eccentric roller etc).

Obviously when I came to fit them I realised my mistake; I know the belt and tensioner are no use, but is there any compatability with the water pumps?

Tom Fenton

The water pump will physcially fit the block, but the belt covers will not fit on around it. A car came in to me where this had happened and whoever had fitted the pump instead of getting the right pump had butchered with gardening tools the covers to fit round it- what an abomination. So in summary, take it back and swap it for the right one!

Anthony

Other option if you can't get the parts swapped is to just buy a later set of belt covers and the few odd other bits (eg tensioner post and bolt) and use the later 114 tooth belt kit and pump. I'm guessing that these are shared with 306/405 etc 1.8 8v (XU7JP) models, although I've not verified that either on Servicebox or comparing the parts side by side.

As an aside, I've never seen a non-CAT 1.9 that uses the later 114 tooth belt setup, only later CAT equipped models. I have seen it on some late 1.6 non-CAT's though, such as the engine that was in my '92/J 1.6 GTi, although it doesn't seem to be consistant as I've seen later registered 1.6's with the older setup!

welshpug

Youll need to swap the crank seal carrier as well if you plan to swap for the later covers.

Grim.Badger

Thanks, I thought that extra cast bit would be a problem even if the pump fitted. I will try and exchange it, but either way will get the right part (even though I need new belt covers anyway!) as it seems the most sensible and hassle free option :)