• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Vts Gearbox On A 1.6Gti

p1234

Anybody using a vts box on there 1.6?

Asking as I have a knackered 1.6 gearbox that needs a 're build and 2 spare vts boxes.

I'm worried about the ratios as the 1.6 box suits our rallycross track here and am unsure if there will be a big diffetence between the two.

calvinhorse

I have a 16v 2.0 mi16 box on my 8v and it's terrible, 1st & 2nd are great, 3rd onwards are to long and far apart

No idea if this is the same but the principle of 16v ratios must be similar?

p1234

If there wasn't much of a difference between 1st 2nd and 3rd I'd be happy enough as I'd only use 4 twice on each lap and never use 5th, might as well leave it on the trailer. I actually have a bar fitted beside the gearstick that I use so 5th can't be engaged by mistake while looking for 3rd going over some bumpy bits.

dcc

take the 4.4 cwp out of the vts box and fit it to your 1.6 box. then you should be able to use 5th more often! :)

p1234

Unfortunately the 1.6 box is fcuked.

dcc

Well I cant say how it will feel on an 8v.

But on my 16v ITB'd engine it was perfect for the power/torque. Close enough ratio for quick acceleration but long enough for minimal wheelspin

pug_ham

I have an early 405 Mi box on one of my 1.6's & I like it for road use, short 1st-3rd with a longer 4th & 5th but still shorter than the 1.9 box so a happy medium imo.

The graphic below is a comparison of the 1.6 box (blue) & VTS / Mi16 box (red).

post-71-0-20606100-1357571714_thumb.jpg

g

• Like 1

p1234

Ah, if only more in life could be explained by graphs, it would make things so much easier, thanks for that Graham, exactly what I was looking for.