• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
john-melbourne

Strange Sparking Sound From Engine Bay

john-melbourne

Hi Guys,

I have recently had a flat battery on the CTI so got the jump leads and got the car running, i was just about to check with a multimeter to see if the alternator was charging and i started to hear a strange sparking type sound from the engine bay. This got louder and more apparent as the car was revved. It was dark and there was no signs of any sparks just what sounded like them, i have heard them before but decided as my head was already in the engine bay to have a quick check. I could not see anything out of place or any signs of sparking just what sounded like it?

Anyone ever had a similar problem or have any ideas?

Suppose it could be described as a clicking noise as well

Thanks

John

Edited by john-melbourne

mang

It sounds like its jumping out of a lead or around the male pin on the coil (where the leads push on) seen it loads you will see it coming out the pin and the lead just run each one through your hand you will soon feel it :-) lol

john-melbourne

Thanks for the reply, stupid question but do I just locate the coil and try and push the leads back on? Could this also cause a flat battery or stop it from charging?

Thanks Again

John

mang

Try push them back on but I would of thought if its jumping out something is foobard (needs changing) it wouldnt cause it to run flat.

john-melbourne

so you think I might need a new coil? or could it be something else that needs replacing?

Thanks Again

John

farmer

if you do buy a new coil get a motaquip one

mang

Coil or could just be a lead the charging is the alternator or battrey :-)

omega

sounds like a cable is either,loose dirty or breaking down.

as you have had battery problems iwould check all the battery leads by removing them and cleaning them[not just looking at them] also check the engine earths.

john-melbourne

sounds like a cable is either,loose dirty or breaking down.

as you have had battery problems iwould check all the battery leads by removing them and cleaning them[not just looking at them] also check the engine earths.

Oh my word i am such a plebe! Just remembered when i removed the jump leads last night the negative lead more or less came off with the jump lead! I will tighten this when i get home this evening! Would this be causing my sparking sound and dead battery issue?

John