• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Wiring Help Please Ignition Amp To Distributor

ALEX

I'm in the process of fitting a new wiring plug.

Which wire goes to which?

The green and red are the wires to the ignition amp.

The Orange and purple go to the distributor.

Edited by ALEX

pug_ham

As I said in your previous post regarding this, here you should have three wires for it, the two you have pictured & a shield wire from the black insulation over the red & green wires.

I've only got an old (dead) dizzy lead that I can see the wire colours on but they are red & black so I plugged it into an old piece of loom I have from the ignition amp to dizzy lead.

The red wire in pin 5 on the ignition amp plug connected with pin 1 on the dizzy side of the plug with the green going to from pin 6 the centre pin & shield wire to pin 3.

I have tested a complete good lead which when all plugged together with the lead from the ignition amp rings out as below;

post-71-0-94380000-1357486383_thumb.jpg

g

ALEX

It looks like my shield wire has been ripped out (pin number 3 on the ignition amp plug)

The 2 wires to the distributor were a tangle mess of insulation tape and bad soldering.

It did run quite well considering all the faults I've found, so the shield wire can't be that important.

Maybe I'll find the radio has poor reception or something. :unsure:

The plug to the left on your picture was missing on mine and connected with the wires just twisted together. The plug on the right is plugged into the distributor on my photo and the plug you can see is a 2 pin IP68 plug I've been given, but the orange and purple wires are original. It must have had the shield wire stripped off them.

I was wondering why you couldn't give me a straight answer.

Thanks for the photo and description, I should be able to figure it out now :)

ALEX

Well its all together and the engine should run....but it doesn't :(

It trys to start after lots of turning over, but cuts out straight away.

Ive checked the obvious, its getting a spark fuel and air and the only bit of wiring I'm not certain on is this plug.

Mine (the black plug that plugs into the dizzy) is different to one pug ham posted so I'm still 50/50 on the wiring here.

Ive swapped them around and it doesn't make any difference, but I'm wondering if I've damaged something :unsure:

if anyone can find the time with a early type dizzy, the one with the clip on dizzy cap not screw on. could you see which wires connect to which between the dizzy and ignition module as per my first post and let me know.

Note: The shield wire might make it hard to see if its not damaged or completely removed like mine.

pug_ham

I did used to have an old style dizzy from my mums 309 Sri but as I'm currently emptying out where all my parts are I might not be able to find it for a while & certainly don't remember getting rid of it.

I don't remember seeing it in any of the boxes I've filled / moved so far so I'll have a better look for it as I move more of them.

If you have a spark then I don't think its this plug though but I might be wrong. :unsure:

g

ALEX

I did used to have an old style dizzy from my mums 309 Sri but as I'm currently emptying out where all my parts are I might not be able to find it for a while & certainly don't remember getting rid of it.

I don't remember seeing it in any of the boxes I've filled / moved so far so I'll have a better look for it as I move more of them.

If you have a spark then I don't think its this plug though but I might be wrong. :unsure:

g

Cheers, It'll be a great help.

There's 2 wires left that I'm working out where they go, (not including the mystery pink wire #63 I've posted about).

One is green wire #400 near the ignition barrel and the other a brown wire #19 (or 79) comming from the enginebay to the fuse board to a single balck male spade connector.