• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jesse390

No Spark, Lots Of Head Scratching

jesse390

Any comments would be very greatful, Been running a alloy block mi on 8v motronic and decieded it was time to do it properly and acquire a loom and ecu. I managed to get a very tidy loom from a forum member and an ecu of ebay. The loom went in and i had no spark and no fuel but the engine turned over. So decieded to try 8v loom to just to get car running, got spark got fuel, happy days!. Wired rest of loom in. and no spark but have fuel and ecu light on dash on constantly.

Read through posts regarding no spark and checked i have good earth loom to gearbox, gearbox to body, have 12v at coil, tacho needle does not move on cranking, tried a different coil with same results by arcing lead from coil to engine. The question thats ratteling round my head is ignition module, has any body heard of one failing after not being run for a time.

Thanks, Max.

allanallen

Ignition modules do fail. make sure it's got a really good earth aswell, that's caught me out in the past!

welshpug

tried a new crank sensor?

jesse390

The ignition amp has a good earth. I will see if i can source a crank sensor tomorrow.

Alastairh

Do you have a mi16 flywheel fitted with the timing ring fitted for the crank sensor to operate?

• Like 1

welshpug

Been running a alloy block mi on 8v motronic

Do you have a mi16 flywheel fitted with the timing ring fitted for the crank sensor to operate?

I would think so unless he has removed it :)

Edited by welshpug

jesse390

Yeah mi flywheel the car ran for18month untill taken of the road for full respray hence the question can module/coil break down

while on the shelf. Max.

jesse390

Tested crank sensor and got 505 ohms i beleive this to be correct, So on to ignitiom amp maybe? :(

nixonmi16

worth checking the the earth on the brown plugs under dash because the ignition amp for some odd reason earths threw this not the main earth on gearbox. when i first did my converson this catched me out

jesse390

Nice one i will check that tomorrow i dont remember an earth on the loom in that position thanks for input

jesse390

Ive done a search and ive read that after putting ignition amp in the freezer it will work for a short period.

How long should i leave it in for?, So i can rule it out.

Max.

Edited by jesse390

Will Eastman

Any luck with this?

jesse390

Any luck with this?

Not yet mate, Weather and commitments getting in the way. But will post if i have any luck, Sounds like we have the same problem.

jesse390

Changed ignition amp this morning for a ducellier item and the car started but was hesitant on throttle,

Ive read on the forum that certain amps dont work correctly has anyone experienced this with ducellier.

Thanks, Max.

jesse390

After getting it running with a new ignition amp i decided to try once more the mi16 loom, but again i have no spark and no fuel. I have gone through all the checks once more and found i don't get 12v between 2 and 3 on the coil, but i do get 12v if i bell back 1 2 3 4 to the battery. Again any input would be appreciated.

Max.

pug_ham

jesse390, on 21 Apr 2013 - 16:19, said:

After getting it running with a new ignition amp i decided to try once more the mi16 loom, but again i have no spark and no fuel. I have gone through all the checks once more and found i don't get 12v between 2 and 3 on the coil, but i do get 12v if i bell back 1 2 3 4 to the battery. Again any input would be appreciated.

Max.

Are the wiring looms wired the same when plugged into your loom? If you are changing nothing other than the loom then this could be where your problem lies & not in any of the ignition components.

You certainly shouldn't get 12v at all coil plug pins, unless you are belling between the battery positive terminal & loom plug.

When are you looking for the 12v at the coil?

IIRC you should only have 12v at pin 4 on the coil when the ignition is on & also at the ignition module pin 4, the wire at pin 3 simply runs between the coil & ignition module pin 7.

Does your ignition module have a separate ring terminal coming out of the plug? If it has, this needs to be connected to form the earth for the ignition module, without it you won't get a spark.

g

jesse390

Are the wiring looms wired the same when plugged into your loom? If you are changing nothing other than the loom then this could be where your problem lies & not in any of the ignition components.

You certainly shouldn't get 12v at all coil plug pins, unless you are belling between the battery positive terminal & loom plug.

When are you looking for the 12v at the coil?

IIRC you should only have 12v at pin 4 on the coil when the ignition is on & also at the ignition module pin 4, the wire at pin 3 simply runs between the coil & ignition module pin 7.

Does your ignition module have a separate ring terminal coming out of the plug? If it has, this needs to be connected to form the earth for the ignition module, without it you won't get a spark.

g

Its got to be loom or ecu i managed to get fuel after bridging one of the relays near the head light. changing back to 8v motronic it started first time. I will have to get it looked at.

max.