• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ian205

My Restoration Project

Ian205

have bought this 205 during the weekend, lovely little car although it is not quite roadworthy, it needs a distributor cap, air flow meter and a good service ! it also needs a front spring and wheel bearing, it has a few rust spots here and there but for a car which has not been on the road with 5 years it is in very good condition!

interior and exterior will be kept as original spec, under the bonnet is where the the modifications will take place! i will be fitting a k&n p57i induction kit and webers, it already has a 4 branch and stainless exhaust, which leads me to my first question , the air flow meter needs to be replaced , but since i am getting the k&n induction kit will i still need to get a new air flow meter?

cheers :)

post-23102-0-70346200-1356889840_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

A bit confusing in your post, you mention a K&N 57i kit and also Webers.

The 57i kit works with the original injection system and hence will require a working air flow meter (AFM).

Webers replace all the injection system which is removed from the car, hence no AFM fitted.

Ian205

my aploigies..i drive a diesel and this is my foirst project and i am a complete newbie!

Ian205

in that case which would you recomend? induction kit or carbs?

Ian205

what i meant to say was put the induction kit on it until i get it back on the road and tested, then put on carbs after , as in removing the induction kit

sensualt101

i would stick with the standard jetronic injection and get it running right before making any changes and not bother with the k+n to be honest as the standard airbox does its job well enough for a daily driving road car :)

Ian205

it'l be a long time before i'l be looking at engine tuning so i'l have plenty time to be thinking about it :D

dcc

before you go an further - read some project threads on here - gauge what people are doing. Also I think you need to reconsider your understanding of the word 'Restoration'

Ian205

i understand the word restoration, dont let the shiny paint work fool you, a previous owner got it re prayed but forgot about the inside of the car, there is rust repairs that need to be done under the rear seats, the boot, engine bay and floor pan, the door is jammed locked the heaters and wipers do not work and the sunroof is leaking. it needs wheel bearings, bushings , a spring a distributor cap and afm. i'm not being cheeky but i think theres enough going on there to call this a restoration

dcc

Restoration isnt fitting webers ;)

Its a good project though :D

Ian205

fitting the webers will be the the easy part in comparison!

Batfink

i would stick with the standard jetronic injection and get it running right before making any changes and not bother with the k+n to be honest as the standard airbox does its job well enough for a daily driving road car :)

You get a better noise with an induction kit. I prefer that to be honest!

Ian205

there is a cone filter on the car..never got the original airbox system with it nor did the previous owner! will probably upgrade this rather than trying to find a standard unit

Ian205

had a thread on here before , cant seem to find it anywhere , so here it goes,

over a year ago i bought this 205 gti 1.6 8v

93059910.jpg​

i knew it needed body work, and a little tlc..but nevcer knew how bad things where,

since i have bought it here is the list of spec of what i have bought for it

*fully reconditioned 1.9 disk axle with new disks

*new bilstein b4 shocks all around

*new droplinks, trackrod ends , new rear axle bushings and subframe bushings

*new airflow meter, cone filter k&n filter re-locaton kit

*replacd front wiper motor, rear wiper solonoid

*new radiator

*new coil pack , dizzy cap , leads

*reconditioned my 1.9 speedlines

*4 branch s/s manifold into s/s exhaust system

i think thats about all new parts i have for it, so then it came time for body work, now the car was resprayed before i bought it but they must have forgottem about under neath and up front.

so i took out the engine and stripped down the front of the car

15607210.jpg​

so as can be seen theres alot to to around the engine bay and front panel,

while the engine was out i did abit of poking about i found these fitted to the engine

10117310.jpg​

16184310.jpg​

piper cam and kent cam pulley

so now its time to get down to the nitty gritty, i noticed oil seeping down from the top of the valves on 2 ports on the exhaust side, so now looks like i might need a head rebuild and while im at it may aswell do abit of bottom end work

i am in the process of making a spit to mount the car up on so i can turn the car upside down to weld the sills where there are a few holes that need sorting. so when its up on the spit the rear axle, petrol and and front sumframe will be taken off the car to be cleaned seperatley and the underneath of the car and up front will be soda blasted primed, and scutched or stone-chipped,

so thats it for now ..watch the space

sport1901966

With that shopping list it sounds like mechanically it should be feeling pretty good now. Corrosionwise at the front end it doesn't look too bad... I've definitely seen a lot worse. Should be able to get away with cleaning up what's there with a couple of patches where required with any luck.

Do you know what part number/spec the cam is?

johniban

Attack it with a knotted wire wheel. Looks in good nick compared to my Gti

Ian205

it is fairly solid, mostly lifted paint and surface rust, a few minor holes here and there mainly the 'skin' of the sills,

and no sorry i dont know the model or spec of the cam, you cant find it out unless you remove the cam, which i havent taken out yet , i heard piper cams arent the best on the market for 205's? could someone clear this up?

the shopping list is long, but far from finished!

cybernck

Thanks! I've merged them both together now.

Ian205

thanks for merging them!

dsc_0012.jpg​

engine out and being stripped and cleaned, needs valve seals :unsure:​

washed and de-geased engine bay

dsc_0013.jpg​

magnex system out on the ground badly needing a clean and shine

dsc_0014.jpg​

yet to be done is take out the interior , petrol tank and rear axle, mount the car up on a spit so i can turn it for cleaning down the underside and fix the rust issues and clean the parts individually ,

car needs rear brake lines from the axle back , and most of the water pipes are perished so might look into getting a new set

i also enquired about getting the same arches made up as colin satchels hill climb car as they look ace and most of my original trim is tatty looking

Ian205

dsc_0113.jpg​

dsc_0116.jpg​

dsc_0117.jpg​