• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
minimaniacwhyard

First Pug Project

minimaniacwhyard

after having a 205 cti 5 years ago i missed it like hell. specially as my friends have had gtis and mi16s as well. so when a little 1.1 rolled into the garage i work in as a trade in i snapped it up for a nice sum of £150. after looking it round the shell is very solid and a good starting base for the project. i have a vision of a 306 dturbo engine in it. bit of econemy mixed with performance. so this is the little 205.

IMG_04062_zpsbf1e2ead.jpg

flat paint and all in all its glory.

have just bought a 205 gti donor car thats in a bit of a state but none the less hass all the suspension upgrade that im after and the subframe for the conversion.

also bought some pepperpot wheels with some good tyres on as well.

will start fixing her up tomorrow. already lowerd the back before i knew the gti was an option this is a photo of that too.

IMG_04101_zpsb3541ae9.jpg

any thought ideas warnings any feed back would be nice

minimaniacwhyard

bought some wheels now the back is lowered and gave her a good clean. waiting on the front springs still the stupid guy on ebay is messing me about. now gotta start saving for the 306 i need for the engine swap brakes etc

IMG_7359_zps57306c72.jpg

polishing diffrence

IMG_7361_zpsfdc7a653.jpg

IMG_7360_zpsc533acf5.jpg

still got a dent the other side. needs to be sorted and painted

Kezzer30

Looks like a good project tbh always like to hear of people saving these old cars , i certainly dont have any knowledge on the engine swap as useless haha but i like the idea and wish you well

minimaniacwhyard

the engine swap is for a dturbo engine its nothing amazing a bit of power mixed with economy is the plan the wiring involved is very minimal. just need to run a diffrent fuel pump and make return lines to the tank. will also be investing in some gti suspension. although these are the plans its a long term project which means things could change alot in the time i plan to keep this

Dickie

I second what Kezzer30 said. Too often I see these cars in scrappies when there is nothing wrong with them. £150 was a bargain to!

sensualt101

i can only echo what others have said and applaud you for saving another 205! :angry:

the car looks a bargain too and i look forward to seeing how it progresses.

johniban

why not fit a dv6 engine, mix old with new :)

minimaniacwhyard

Because i work with that engine all day and i have grown to hate every little detail of it. Dturbo for the win

johniban

you hate the dv6 engine? for real? i must say i work on them most days too, i quite like them

johniban

you will find the 1.9dt to lack the performance you are after, they are good engines untill people mess about with the fueling, blow head gaskets and all sorts

minimaniacwhyard

I learnt the hard way. Im one of the idiots when i was 17 to overfuel and boost one a f*** it beyond repair. I cant imagine the dv6 being a relativly eay fit either.

BlueBolt

Have a look at StrictlyDurv's build!!

He's gone for the dturbo+ !! May give you some inspiration, ideas, and definitely someone to chat to about the convert and what can be done...

I'll be watching for progress as this sounds like a good one!! :)

minimaniacwhyard

Ill keep him in mind this is gonna be a long project though. Dont intend to do the transplant till may. Want to get everything tidy first before i convert it all. Run out all the problems. Will take a look at his stuff when i get back from work though.

minimaniacwhyard

Ps the gti donor car that i was hoping for has been taken to the scrap yard in the sky so im gonna be sourcing some more bits soon.

minimaniacwhyard

lights, wheel bolts, front springs are all here now so throw them on and start saving for the engine among other things. will put some pictures up when ive lowerd the front and referbed the wheels

• Like 1

minimaniacwhyard

right so i got the front lowered and readjusted the back today. didn't go to bad. couldn't get the shocks out of the hubs so i improvised a little bit. also couldn't undo the bleed screws so had to improvise some more.

couldn't get any pictures of it done as it was dark when i finished. just some progress pics.

had a major problem Saturday. phoned up to get an insurance quote for the engine conversion. wont insure me at all. sky insurance that is. will try adrian flux as well. although this is the case im going to keep pottering along.

i intend to buy a 1.8td and fix that up as they will insure me on that. most of this car will be used as a donor car for my new one and my gfs 205. this project thread shall remain open with intentions. the new car when i get it and all the updates.

so here are some pictures from today

IMG_05591_zps81e44264.jpg

my friend helping me adjust the rear axle again. as i had to do the horrid notch method.

IMG_05571_zpsdf7eeaac.jpg

my improvised way of getting the springs off without taking the shocks or brakes off. TRICKY

IMG_05561_zps6205a7c3.jpg

IMG_05541_zps40cedec6.jpg

IMG_05511_zpsaa142a52.jpg

spring height diffrence

will keep the updates coming as things progress

BlueBolt

F*CK doing the springs that way!!

Shocks not even come out with the use of a small mallet and keeping the top bolted in?? That's my usual method anyway...

minimaniacwhyard

Tryed that they are stuck fast. Also tryed opening the back with a chisel a bit. Its done now though. When i come to

Put new shocks in will belt hell out of them

As wont fear damage.

BlueBolt

Haha, fare play, just re read that you're a spanner monkey so should have thought that you'd have tried that anyway

minimaniacwhyard

Everything was last resort today. Was not a easy day but got it done none the less. Ill let future me worry about it

johnnyboy666

Ive had had to cut the top nut off a shock with an angle grinder to get the spring off before now! so even with the struts out of the hub it can be a ballache!

minimaniacwhyard

Ive been down that route with other cars. Mainly

Nissan micras have that problem.

hcmini1989

Just a heads up mate try greenlight insurance there in the group buy section on here mate they seem to only insure modified cars

calvinhorse

Those spring compressors look the dogs danglies, what make are they?

minimaniacwhyard

There called lann i think

Its a german make. And they are the tits. Really easy to use quick and safe as hell