• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TheHawk

205 Gr Electrical Issues

TheHawk

So about a week ago some of the electrics inside the car stopped working the stereo cigar lighter and interior light are the ones I've found so far! Then 2 days ago the fan kept running constantly resulting in a flat battery so I have been taking a terminal when I stop driving. I checked all the fuses when stereo etc stopped working and there are no burnt out ones. I'm not sure where to go from here? Electricals aren't really my forte.

Any help would be greatly apriciated!

Dale

Zacky-94

The fan constantly running would be something to do with the thermostatic switch on the rad i would have thought

The interior problems any of the plugs at all come out of the fuse box at the back where all the wires go in are or anything like that ? And double check the fuses cause some may look fine but are not , if you have a multi meter check them that way if not

A simple test light should show you if you have a 12v feed at the fuse box, and check your battery termanals clean them up if they need it all helps and there should be a little black box just behind the passanger side front light check the cable that comes from battery positive to the box for corrosion

Youd have to get some advice off someone who has abit more experience than me as its hard to say with out being infront of the car hope this helps

Edited by Zacky-94

bondyshambles

I believe that the stereo, interior light and fag lighter all run off the same fuse. Has your central locking stopped too ?. I am no expert but from personal experience i was trying to change over a central locking unit on my drivers side. Unfortunately there are 2 different types and i had the wrong one. Every time i plugged the unit in the same fuse kept blowing which knocked out the stereo interior light and fag lighter. Mines a phase 1.5 on a 1990.

TheHawk

Hi guys thanks for the replies tomorrow ill have a look at the wires going into the back of the fuse box etc. As for the fan i shall check the connections etc as a temporary fix im tempted just to fit a battery cut off switch. I shall also check the fuses does anyone know the number as my haynes Manuel has gone walk abouts.

Thanks for the replies

Dale

bondyshambles

Fuse no 7. Its a 25 amp. It controls cig lighter, clock,int lamp,luggage lamp,central locking, radio and towbar....apparently.

TheHawk

Awesome i shall make a run into town tomorrow and pic some up just in case! if not i'll get the multi meter out during the week

bondyshambles

As i said before this is rellevant to 1.9 gti. Hope its the same for yours.

TheHawk

So i have got a battery cut off switch as temporary fix for the radiator fan issue and am picking up a multi meter tomorrow to investigate the interior accessory issue!