• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bicyclerepairman

Xud Turbo Oil Temp/pressure Sender

bicyclerepairman

So I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to fit oil temperature/pressure gauges to my 205. I've already got an oil temp gauge/sender, and intend to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge sometime soon.

I was thinking of using a sandwich plate, cos then I've got the option to add an oil cooler, but there's not a whole lot of space, and I'd struggle to get both senders and an oil cooler feed in there.

I'm now thinking of using the existing threaded hole for the oil pressure switch in the sump, but I'll need an adapter to go from 2x 1/8" (for the two gauge senders) to whatever thread is used in the existing hole. Does anyone know what this thread is, and even better, does anyone know of an adapater like the one I described??

Thanks in advance!

Tom Fenton

Oil pressure sender needs to go in one of the oil galleries that has pressured oil from the pump. Easiest way is a tee piece in the location of the standard oil pressure switch.

Temperature sender is fine in the sump.

bicyclerepairman

Oil pressure sender needs to go in one of the oil galleries that has pressured oil from the pump.

Ah yes good point. I'd always assumed the existing sensor in the sump is the oil pressure, but obviously it can't be.

In that case, I'll take it out and fit the new temperature sender.

This leaves two questions - anyone know the thread size of the existing sensor in the sump? And, where is the oil pressure switch??

allye

You can buy a adapter to fit the oil pressure sender, the adapter screws into the exsisting low oil pressure switch location. This is found on the front of the block.

oil.jpg

IMG_20120225_122141.jpg

welshpug

that's an XU10 pictured, but the diesel has the same drilling, though doesn’t have the second one the XU10 does have near the starter motor.

pug_ham

This leaves two questions - anyone know the thread size of the existing sensor in the sump? And, where is the oil pressure switch??

It could be one of two sizes depending on the age of your car / engine.

It'll be either M12 or M14 but afaik Peugeot don't stock the M14 oil temp senders any longer.

g

welshpug

servicebox doesn't list any oil temp sensors for the XUD after 1990, so there shouldn’t be one on your M reg?

Edited by welshpug

bicyclerepairman

Thanks for the answers! Should be all I need.

I've already got an oil temp gauge and sender, I just need to know which adapter to get to fit it in the sump.

As welshpug said, the car is an M reg TD, if that helps narrow it down between M12 and M14.

bicyclerepairman

One more question! As well as the diameter, does anyone know what pitch the thread is? I've got 1.25 and 1.5 options on the sender adapters.

welshpug

check if you have a suitable hole first...

bicyclerepairman

There is one, there's some kind of sensor already fitted in the sump. I'm guessing it's an oil level switch or something, for a dash light I don't have.

welshpug

unscrew it and check :D

thread sizes of the senders are specific to their diameters.

M14 is 1.25, M16 is 1.5.

oil level if it has one will be in the rear of the block not the sump.

bicyclerepairman

I wonder what it is then. I only have an oil pressure light on the dash, and nothing else oil-related. Maybe it's a stock temperature sender, but not connected.

I guess I will have to take it out and measure it, I was hoping to do it all at once when doing an oil change. Sod's law says I would have got the wrong size adapter anyway....

pug_ham

servicebox doesn't list any oil temp sensors for the XUD after 1990, so there shouldn’t be one on your M reg?

I wasn't aware the XUD had an oil temp sender fitted in any year but the sump is very likely a common used item & the factory could have fitted one to fill the hole.

I know my mums 94 Mardi Gras 1.6 auto had one in the back of the alloy sump when I stripped it. :)

A 94 XUD will probably have an M14 threaded sump plug & also oil temp sender but tbh, your only way to be certain is remove the one you've found to see.

Get a picture of the sender you have found & post it up, does it have a wire attached to it?

g

bicyclerepairman

Thanks for all the info. I've ordered a thread pitch gauge, so once it arrives I'll take out the sensor and measure it.

I used the owner's manual as a reference for what sensors I would expect to find in the engine. According to the various dash options, the TD never had an oil temp gauge option, so I didn't expect to find an oil temp sensor. I'll post a pic of what I find.

welshpug

Just the diameter of the unit will tell you the thread pitch.

pug_ham

What size is the sump plug washer if you can remember from the last time you did an oil change?

My previous 94 STDT had a 14mm sump plug & the oil temp sender would be the same.

g

bicyclerepairman

There has been some progress on this, which has left me questioning my sanity...

Using this mystery sender unit as a fine excuse to buy a shiny new thread pitch gauge, I then went to measure it. I couldn't find any trace of any other holes in my sump other than the drain plug, so I have no idea what I thought I saw! Maybe I'd had a few too many that afternoon. Maybe I need to have a few more beers this evening and think it over.....

Anyway, I'll now have to think again about where to place my oil temp sender.

pug_ham

Measure the depth of the back of the sump on your engine, a 1.6 GTI sump might be deep enough to make it a simple swap over to get the oil temp sensor on your engine.

g

bicyclerepairman

Assuming the sump is deep enough (I'll go and measure it now), will the 1.6GTI sump fit my XUD?

pug_ham

Yes, all XU engines have the same sump bolt pattern & they use the same gasket.

g

bicyclerepairman

Yes, all XU engines have the same sump bolt pattern & they use the same gasket.

g

Awesome. My sump is 13cm deep at the front, and 9cm deep at the back (measuring from the bolting surface).