• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Fuel Tank And Lines For Injection Engine

calvinhorse

I'm toying with the idea of putting a saxo vtr engine in my 1.0 litre 205 (carb model Tu)

Everything was looking good till I remembered the petrol tank..

So I'm just wondering how people have gone about it?

I've seen vtr engine conversions with and without a fuel return pipe?

Which pump and tank do I use?

Thanks

Calvin

allanallen

O oh :P

It'll want a return old bean! Gti tank and pump on and jobs a fish ;)

This trifles good by the way

Edited by allanallen

welshpug

later 106's and saxo's have their pressure regulators at the fuel tank, hence the lack of return at the engine bay end.

205 Injection/gti tank pump and lines probably simplest method.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

So gti tank, pump, fuel lines.

I'm guessing the fuel rail will have a pressure regulator?

Damn you, I was dreaming about that triffle!

calvinhorse

Cheers wp, So would I need an aftemarket inline regulator?

welshpug

depends on the age of the donor engine :)

calvinhorse

Great stuff! Thanks again!

It's a 1999 if that helps :D

Anthony

Not done it myself, but judging from Dasneakygit's 205 Rallye project, the engine doesn't look like it's going to clear the bonnet assuming that you have the same inlet manifold fitted on your engine (not sure what differences there are between the various guises of 1.6 8v TU engine)

As said, I would just use a GTi tank and pump, assuming that the engine uses a conventional feed and return setup. You'll need to run a feed wire and earth for the pump as they won't be present on the base model interior loom, but that's easy enough, noting that your fusebox might not have the required pins present to run the wiring as per a GTi through fuse 14 (certainly a lot of Phase 2 non-injection cars don't)

allanallen

If you put a 16 valve in it I'll save you some

photo-136.jpg

calvinhorse

Allan you f*****g scumbag!

Cheers Anthony ill have a measure up

welshpug

not sure if its mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but the raised bonnet is because the inlet manifold on the S2 engine is quite tall, so i had to stick the bonnet spacers in to get the bonnet closed - or crunch.

will try and get an auto bonnet/S1 inlet manifold when i have an income again.

couple of ideas there then :)

calvinhorse

Yeah I spotted that..

Jacked up bonnet - don't like

Auto bonnet - don't like

I think I've got 2 vtr heads hopefully one is a phase 1 hmmm

Lowercase

gti fuel tank and pump. you'll have to extend the wiring of course, i i poked it through the rubber grommet and into the car and grounded it on one of the studs that secure the rear seat, and then ran the live down the side and under the dash into the bay.

i couldnt comment on where it was added in without looking as Colin Stewart sorted the wiring for me.

the fuel lines i used are also from a gti, though mine are sorta bodged into place as i couldnt get them to sit flush down the underside of the car. I didnt bust a lung over it though as i will be replacing them with braided lines over the year.

i mounted the fuel filter next to the brake servo and obviously used a bit more rubber hose to connect to the fuel rail, i think i used 8mm ID hose. its a bit of a squeeze to get one of them on to the fuel rail, but any bigger and it will ping off the other end. my engine is from an R reg if that helps.

the bonnet closing being cured by an aluminium S1 inlet is based purely on observation from minigibbo's S1 rallye engined project. the S2 engine itself could be taller.

jamie_1992

why a vtr engine and not a vts

calvinhorse

Cheap, just wanted injection.

And I don't rate vts / 106 gti engines.

And don't like the way the cams wear the heads.

Lowercase

agreed. my saxo VTS feels limp wristed compared to my rallye.

VTS engine after some cams and a turbo, yea brilliant, or with a short ratio gear box. but otherwise, 8v all the way :)

c_robinson

very odd to say that about the tu5j4, it's a fantastic set up when mated with the correct gearbox/final drive, and gives plenty of scope for future mods.

Callum you're saxo will weigh a fair bit more than a 205 and probably have the long vts gearbox which is maybe why it'll feel limp wristed. Stick a 1.3 106 rallye box with the 4.54 final drive in it onto the engine and you'll notice a massive difference

welshpug

in my eyes if youre goping to stick a heavy TU5 anchor you might as well stick the valver in, if not, just plonk an XU5 in!

calvinhorse

It's all well and good saying stick an xu5 in but that's doubled the work and parts doing a tu - xu conversion and then you've got 15 year old engine manage and knackered air flow metres to contend with, engines needing rebuilds.

I don't think your really thought that through WP

:D

calvinhorse

Plus it's totally irrelevant to the topic

calvinhorse

Good vtr - £150

Good vts - £400

welshpug

good XU5... :ph34r:

calvinhorse

Unavailable :D

Lowercase

very odd to say that about the tu5j4, it's a fantastic set up when mated with the correct gearbox/final drive, and gives plenty of scope for future mods.

Callum you're saxo will weigh a fair bit more than a 205 and probably have the long vts gearbox which is maybe why it'll feel limp wristed. Stick a 1.3 106 rallye box with the 4.54 final drive in it onto the engine and you'll notice a massive difference

very true mate, my mate has just sold his S1 rallye which had a 16v engine in it and the original 1.3 gearbox and that was rather rapid.

he did caine it though :P

i may well 16v mine in future, but i'd want to rebuild the engine first to ensure it was in lean health and then add a throttle bodies set up.

will have to hope some one rear ends my saxo. engine please.. brakes please...

Edited by DaSneakyGit

LukeSweetser

Sorry to drag an old thread up from the dead but it saves starting a new one!

I'm currently putting a vtr engine in my 205 to replace the 1.1carb engine and we have come to fuel lines. The vtr engine we have dropped in has no fuel return... I have the gti tank and pump in but i've got no idea what to do next. I've been searching and scratching my head stumped at how it all works!

Any of you clever gents able to advise me on what to do now?

Cheers :)