• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
puglove

Gti 6 Gearbox Ratio Help/ Ideas

puglove

My 205 turbo came with a gti 6 gearbox and I feel the ratios are far too close to get the most out of the engine. I was thinking of (if its possible) changing some of the gears with 1.9 ones except 2nd which I believe is the same in all BE gearboxes, Looking at a ratio table I found that there's not much difference apart from the diff. The gti 6 diff is 4.05 and the 1.9 is 3.68, if I fitted a 1.9 diff would make all the gears longer which would also make it better on the motorway aswell. I'm not 100% sure if this is an option as I couldn't find any info anywhere and I haven found it being done before? If anyone is overly familiar with these gearboxes and what's interchangeable I would be greatful if you could tell me if this is possible and any opinions are welcome. Thanks :)

B11 BOB

Depending on what bhp if you are running below 350 I would go for a 1.9 box.If you are running 350 and above then go for the HDi box.I posted a topic Xsara Vts box with 3.69 final drive up on here and decided to go for the hdi box due to having 350 bhp and will be going to 450 in the near future.

I dont think you can change the final drive on a gti6 box to a 1.9's 3.69 unless im wroung ive not heard of it being done before.

Miles

You can change the FD of the 6 box, £800.00 ish thou as nothing is a straight swap

PeterGriffin

I looked at this recently and found some combinations with standard peugeot parts. I currently run 1.9 box with 1.6 diff - at 180 bhp it's PERFECT for getting the best of the revs, but shocking on decent drive (yesterday I did a 100 mile round trip and it doesn't feel right sitting at 4k revs at 70mph...

Anywho, these are the combos and theoretical top speed (engine dependant)...

(assumes 16" wheels with 50mm profile and 7,500 red line)

1.9 box with 1.6 diff - 130mph (70mph @ 3,700)

Mi16 box with Mi16 diff - 140mph (70mph @ 3,500)

1.9 box with 1.9 diff - 145mph (70mph @ 3,300)

Mi16 box with 1.9 diff - 170mph (70mph @ 2,900)

To get your own sums (with your own wheels etc) use THIS

Edited by PeterGriffin

B11 BOB
You can change the FD of the 6 box, £800.00 ish thou as nothing is a straight swap

Miles

Can you change it to fit the Diesel final drive of 3.47 ie does this mean you can change it to take any Be final drive ?

Miles

If the Derv's used a 6 speed BE box then yes, I openally admit I know zero about oil burners (They smell) and you get Diesel foot at the petrol station

• Like 1

welshpug

The gti6 is the only 6 speed be application, two fd's, 3.95 and 4.06.

5speed pinions no use, aftermarket fd's are all shorter for rally and race use.

Best bet is a 5 speed box, say off a 306 hdi, or more valves and a better turbo.

cybernck

Peter, your findings are good but not really applicable to this topic, as your engine

(assuming it's an Mi16, as per your avatar) is quite different to the one in question

in this topic, which is a 2.0 8v Turbo.

As it happens, I've been thinking about this a few moments ago and, although a standard

1.9 gearbox would suit an 8v Turbo engine perfectly in my opinion, if I were to build

a 16v Turbo engine, I'd be inclined to with 1.9 gears and 1.6 FD, as suggested.

But in this case, it would feel quite similar to a GTI-6 box anyway.

• Like 1

PeterGriffin

Peter, your findings are good but not really applicable to this topic, as your engine

(assuming it's an Mi16, as per your avatar) is quite different to the one in question

in this topic, which is a 2.0 8v Turbo.

As it happens, I've been thinking about this a few moments ago and, although a standard

1.9 gearbox would suit an 8v Turbo engine perfectly in my opinion, if I were to build

a 16v Turbo engine, I'd be inclined to with 1.9 gears and 1.6 FD, as suggested.

But in this case, it would feel quite similar to a GTI-6 box anyway.

Nice wee program though.... :blush:

Simes

Nice wee program though.... :blush:

There is a spreadsheet floating around on this forum of all possible combinations of ratio's and fd.

PeterGriffin

There is a spreadsheet floating around on this forum of all possible combinations of ratio's and fd.

Still... nice we program though... :ph34r:

engine killer

hope the info is correct and may help

pug box.pdf

petert

I've never seen a 2.37:1 1st gear on an Mi16.

engine killer

I've never seen a 2.37:1 1st gear on an Mi16.

do you mind to correct/update me the info please?

oops, missed this

2.1 2nd on an S16?!

try this, seems more realistic, note that there's two FD's for the gti6 box, 3.95 and 4.05

http://www.track-monkey.co.uk/downloads/205ratiosGti6.xls