• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Megane Brembo Fitting

allye

I have read Megane 4pot Brembos (225 sport) fit under SL434's with no spacers, where as 406 coupe Brembos require 16mm spacer. I want to avoid using spacers really (opinions on this?) I would assume the Megane calipers are not a direct fit like the 406 items so a mounting bracket would have to be made? - Whilst we are here what discs would be used with the Megane calipers under the 434's?

Many Thanks!

(found a pair of reasonable priced megane calipers)

cybernck

The thing with M225/C197 calipers is that they have no mounting lugs at all, so you can fit

them to any disc you like (or that makes the setup fit under a certain type of wheel anyway),

with custom-made brackets. And the caliper body shape is rather different design to 406 Brembos

to begin with, which is why they require less space.

It only just fits with 7x15" 309 Turbo wheels and whopping 302x26mm 307 CC 180 discs:

dsc08435.jpg

You might need to use a shim of a few mm's with 6.75x15" SL434's.

Hope this helps.

allye

Cheers Nik, whats the opinions on running 16mm spacers? with the 6.75j I don't think its a great option.

I don't want to put GTI6 calipers on as I'm a massive tart :D

What bolt on packages are available from the likes of HiSpec, Wilwood and KAD?

Edited by allye

welshpug

there is a Hispec caliper that is a direct lug fit and sits over late 266x22mm discs, not sure if you will get them direct but a lad on a few of the 106+saxo forums sorted them.

rallydesign do a 285mm kit with their own rather expensive discs, they do need spacers for 15" 1.9 wheels but not very thick ones.

allye

Brilliant, thanks for that WP, just checked out the Hispec website. Looks as though the Megane caliper is a good set up, can you suggest a disc size (car model etc) to use with the Megane caliper under the 434's? I can then give the caliper, disc and a 309 hub to a engeering friend to make up the brackets.

Anthony

rallydesign do a 285mm kit with their own rather expensive discs, they do need spacers for 15" 1.9 wheels but not very thick ones.

Assuming that's the Wilwood kit that you're talking about, it can be used on a 1.9 wheel without spacers, but typically requires very slight "relieving" of the caliper body with a grinder to prevent it fouling on the inside of the spokes.

allye

Not sure I could bring myself to take some chunks out of a very expensive caliper!

welshpug

I will have to try one of the wheels on the Saxo without the spacers, might be Garry has SMR's, only thing that puts me off those is that you can only get the discs from Rallydesign, and not cheap IIRC, but a necessity as the 306 discs aren’t tall enough, bringing the caliper closer to the wheel.

wilwoods are cheap end of the market, you should price up some AP's or those RS brembo's new... ;)

the DS3R uses brembo's, £440 each on Servicebox :o

allye

I was always under the impression wilwoods were a fairly decent caliper? I get hold of these Megane brembos and have a go at fitting those, they look much nicer than the 406 calipers too! :blush:

I guess I want to be fitting a 285mm, approx, disc to ensure they fit under the 434's nicely?

Batfink

Wilwoods are cheap. Some are known to have flexing issues

cybernck

I guess I want to be fitting a 285mm, approx, disc to ensure they fit under the 434's nicely?

Disc offset and caliper width is more important, as that's why you'd need spacers in the first place.

welshpug

and caliper position within the wheel, going smaller with the disc will move the caliper closer to the hub of the wheel, looking at the pic of the SL434 it looks in the ideal location.

that or get a belled disc and shift it inboard.

Baz

The thing with M225/C197 calipers is that they have no mounting lugs at all...

Aren't they just a traditional radially-mounted caliper rather than 'lug'-mounted?

Wilwoods are ok, for the money especially, but they're never going to be the best, but then as said, weigh up what AP's/Alcons etc would cost...

These are my old Dynalites that cleared 1.9 Speedlines with a 3mm or so spacer;

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205gtmi16/FS/Wilwood4pots/

& I have these Midilites, they clear, just, without spacers;

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205gtmi16/205%20White%20APN/F7BB7963.jpg

allye

This is rather confusing. Surely I am restricted to what width disc I can run by the caliper?

If I was to run the 302x26mm 307 CC 180 discs I theory i would only have to use a 5/6mm spacer as its a tight fit under the 15x7j SL's.

Plan is forming!

cybernck

Yes, your calculations seem fine.

They are designed for a 28 mm disc, but running a 26 mm one will be fine.

But there's also disc offset or height to take into account, which is what I meant.

Less offset/height, means the disc braking face is closer to the wheel face, which in turn

means that the caliper will have to sit further outboard as well - finally meaning that you'll

need wider wheels, wheels with less offset/ET or wheel spacers.

Baz

SL434's are 6.75". ;)

Baz

And ET8.

allye

SL434's are 6.75". ;)

I know! I was referring to the 309 Turbo SL's which are 7j and require no spacer but are very close fit, with the 434's being .25' narrower I will need a 6mm spacer at the most using the 302x26mm 307 CC 180 discs :P

Yes, your calculations seem fine.

They are designed for a 28 mm disc, but running a 26 mm one will be fine.

But there's also disc offset or height to take into account, which is what I meant.

Less offset/height, means the disc braking face is closer to the wheel face, which in turn

means that the caliper will have to sit further outboard as well - finally meaning that you'll

need wider wheels, wheels with less offset/ET or wheel spacers.

Indeed I had worked out that the offset of some discs are drastically different to others, in theory if I copy the above use of disc it should work out, in practice? - We will have to wait and see!

cybernck

I've these calipers and a brand new pair of said discs as it happens, but unfortunately no exotic Speedlines to hand.

Baz

I know! I was referring to the 309 Turbo SL's which are 7j and require no spacer but are very close fit, with the 434's being .25' narrower I will need a 6mm spacer at the most using the 302x26mm 307 CC 180 discs :P

Ah I see! What offset are the 7" ones, the same?